What's on The Workbench (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bit hard to tell Karl...the first one looks a bit too dark while the light is affecting the second image, changing it quite a bit....

In the latter stages the main colour was an Olive Drab colour, preceding this colour was Dark Green, the biggest problem with any Ki-84 is identifying whether the aircraft is a mid (Medium to Dark Green) or late (Olive Drab) production model.

You have to make a guess, but a home defence aircraft is probably more likely to be in the Olive Drab range.

Ok, thanks...the lower colour is the next issue I mix my own brew from Tamiya paints....looks like the following pic...brownish grey, olive grey, grey-Green are descriptions of the colour....can also be Natural metal, paint saving process!

Attachments

• Panel Lines Lower_5760.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 65
Thanks very much Wayne, have been going through those pdf's you sent me.
Have got vallejo's grey green for the lower surfaces, it looks very like the colour you mix up yourself, bit of a result really !
going to go with the IJA green i've got, the olive drab i have is a very brown shade so no good at all, the pics i posted do not represent the green very well, should get some pics out side later on or maybe tomorow.
expect more questions tomorow mate !!!!

lookin great, Wayne!

I've assembled the fuselage, wings, and engines of the MD-80. but i'm gonna try a different approach. I'm gonna paint everything THEN attach the wings, tailplanes, and engines. I'm told that makes it easier for airliner modelling.

Fire away Karl, ready to assist.....

Fire away Karl, ready to assist.....

ok then !
Paul posted this profile in your build thread it shows a green spinner but i like the look of yours with a red one, what do you reckon ?

what technique did you use with the silver pencil, similar to the panel lines but just less neat and tidy ?

Attachments

• 1CAEJKODR.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

I have not seen a photo of your subject, and none of the photo's really show just what the real colour is...so go with the Red it will look right with the stripe!

The silver pencil was used on the MATT painted surfaces and yes just in a haphazard type of manner but in areas that were likely to have had some chipping, it was sealed with the rest of the aircraft and after the Flatt coat some of it was redone in the wingroot area where it would be slightly brighter as the flat coat dulls it down.

great thanks master jedi, will give it a go later and red it is for the spinner
also just noticed you didn't paint the black no slip square at the wing root, any particular reason as it is on my instructions and the decal instructions you sent me ?

Last edited:
From pics i have studied, not all Ki-84's had the black square, and in fact not all had all of the wing warning stripes either.
At least 2 Shimbu-Tai aircraft don't show the wing warning stripes that I can see, possibly making them late production aircraft, this might mean they left a number of things un finished in an attempt to save time to get aircraft to front line units.

And I like your Green too!

Now that the mk8 spit is all but done I decided to have a go at finishing this Tamiya 1/48 P51 that was part of the collection I brought back from Germany

After giving it a good wipe down I had a good look over it and oh dear I think I may have blown off the cockpit masking when spraying the wings by spray can as the interior is mostly silver I removed the seat and have now repainted both it and the interior as best I can and the result is OK but nowhere near as good as if I could get at it with any great sense

Seat and harness redone

Also did some work on the seams now looking much tidier

Painted the mainspar/ back wall of the undercart bays zinc chromate

Still have yet to decide on what scheme to finish it in, have decals for Nooky bookie IV, Petie 2nd, LouieIV, Jumpin Jacques or Ltn Glen Eagleston 353 FS

Looking good. But you would avoid the "doublle" work with painting of the fuselage seams if you had used a putty and sandpaper before you painted the model.

Last edited:
This was started about 15 years ago and I know a lot more now than I did then I will be redoing the fuselage in aluminum rather than silver to give it a different look to the wings.

Oh...I see now. So I'm not the only one who holds a few not finished yet models so long time.

Keep working then.

Should turn out all right mate. Maybe you can do a light dry brush of those parts of the cockpit which are hard to reacg? BTW, far as I remember, 'Nookie Bookie' was a P51K; looks the same, but with the Dallas hood and Aeroproducts prop.

Users who are viewing this thread