What's on The Workbench

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

right now, I'm working on the 1/72 Testors F4U-1 Corsair.

I used my airbrush for the first time. th plane dosn't look too good. it's kind of flaking on the left wing, and on the right elevator, had to go over that ith a brush, an there were some fisheye spots as well. I should really wash my models first before I paint them from now on >.>

the top of the model looks horrible >_< but the bottom is REALLY clean.

right now, I'm working on the 1/72 Testors F4U-1 Corsair.

I used my airbrush for the first time. th plane dosn't look too good. it's kind of flaking on the left wing, and on the right elevator, had to go over that ith a brush, an there were some fisheye spots as well. I should really wash my models first before I paint them from now on >.>

the top of the model looks horrible >_< but the bottom is REALLY clean.

If you are using acrylics, washing is imperative. I just spray the sprues with 409 and run them under warm water and let them dry. Sit them on a paper towel or cloth rag and by the next day you are good to go!

actually, i'm using enamels. no acrylics. it was all Testors, except for the paintbrush and the airbrush

Robert, it's still a good idea to at least clean the model with a damp cloth, then a dry one. You can't always see it, but there's normally always grease etc on the plastic. Some of this is from the release agent used in the moulds, and some from handling. When brush painting, the paint is thicker, and 'moving' across the plastic, and therefore 'takes up' some of this grease, causing less problems. One of the other reasons for the imperfections you have experienced might be due to the thinning ratio of the paint, or, perhaps too much paint in one area. The latter is especially true if you've gone over the same area more than once, before the first coat is fully dry. One of the most important things to remember when using an airbrush, is to keep the 'brush moving, preferably in straight lines, in one direction, and at the same angle; avoid, if possible, twisting your wrist, as this will mean a different spray pattern, and consequently, differing 'thicknesses' of paint in differing areas. If in doubt, practice first. The easiest way to do this is to use ordinary ink, and spray onto a piece of card, preferably smooth surfaced, in order to get used to the brush without wasting paint.
When you are ready to paint an actual model, again, have a practice spray first, using the colour you wish to paint with, immediately before attempting to paint the model. Again, just spray a little onto card, or paper, perhaps whatever is covering your work surface. This will allow you to alter the mix if required, and adjust the 'brush/air settings to suit the job.
It's much better to use a bit more paint etc. than possibly ruin a model by rushing into it. Don't worry though, we've all been there! And it still happens now and again!
Using an airbrush is very similar to using a full-size spray gun - but harder, as everything is miniaturised; it takes practice, and it's nothing to worry about, as even professionals, artists, modellers or car sprayers, still mess-up sometimes!
Hope this helps you a bit.
Terry.

Matt, I used to use a mild dishwashing solution for cleaning my model parts, but I never thought of 409...cool idea.

And good advice, Terry...

I've painted countless cars over the years, and out of all the plagues, I think fisheyes are the worst. Especially if it's a metallic paint!

Also keep the distance to your subject the same, the closer you get, the thicker the paint, and the narrower the spread. The further away you get, the thinner the paint coverage becomes.

heh, thanks a lot, erry! that's awesome advice. I think i did put a lot of thinner in the paint. I used the Testors dark sea blue, and dumped the whole lil paint bottle into the container, and then used the clean thinner to get the rest of the gunk out.

anyways, I've finished the Corsair, and the SBD Dauntless. I'll post pics of them when I get the pics combined in Photoshop

My 1/33 scale carton model of Su-22M4 still in progress.

Attachments

• Su22M4_fuselage1.JPG
    Su22M4_fuselage1.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 58
  • Su22M4_fuselage2.JPG
    Su22M4_fuselage2.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 65
  • Su22M4_fuselage3.JPG
    Su22M4_fuselage3.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 60
  • Su22M4_fuselage4.JPG
    Su22M4_fuselage4.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 54
  • Su22M4_fuselage5.JPG
    Su22M4_fuselage5.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 58
  • Su22M4_6.jpg
    Su22M4_6.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 33
  • Su22M4_5.jpg
    Su22M4_5.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 56
  • Su22M4_4.jpg
    Su22M4_4.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 59
  • SU22M4_airbreak_bays.JPG
    SU22M4_airbreak_bays.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 60
and more...

Attachments

• Su22M4_7.jpg
    Su22M4_7.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 65
  • Su22M4_3.jpg
    Su22M4_3.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 66
  • Su22M4_2.jpg
    Su22M4_2.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 60
  • Su22M4_1a.jpg
    Su22M4_1a.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 56
  • Su22M4_1.jpg
    Su22M4_1.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 62
  • Su22M4_8.jpg
    Su22M4_8.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 66
  • Su22M4_9.jpg
    Su22M4_9.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 53
Incredible! That's the first time I've seen this type of card model close up - I didn't realise they were so good! Thanks Wojtek, very interesting, I might try one of the WW2 ones I've seen advertised.

THX Terry.To be honest the kit is a little bit basic but there are much more advanced.The P-51 Mustang III is also nice but I have had its scratch-built.

Attachments

• IMG_0183.jpg
    IMG_0183.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0182.jpg
    IMG_0182.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0178.jpg
    IMG_0178.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0177.jpg
    IMG_0177.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0176.jpg
    IMG_0176.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0184.jpg
    IMG_0184.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0196.jpg
    IMG_0196.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0197.jpg
    IMG_0197.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0198.jpg
    IMG_0198.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0200.jpg
    IMG_0200.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 52
  • Mustang_MkIII_overview.jpg
    Mustang_MkIII_overview.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 49
The basic the better for me! It'll be a whole new learning curve, putting together pre-printed shaped card. I'll be lost without trimming bits with a scalpel, filing and sanding!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back