What's on The Workbench

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

my progress the last few days, some mistakes but overall feel good about my skill. its been years since I stalled out on model building. bring on the constructive criticism pleeez?. the antenna wire is difficult to see on these photos, used some photo etch turnbuckles etc. for the cable hardware. somewhat historically correct? canopy not finished.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm with all above. Looking good. But If I may ... the Hawks of the AVG were camouflaged with the RAF type scheme. It resulted in keeping of the continuation of the camo spots from the port side and the starboard of a plane. The way of the camo applying was kept for the wing tops as well. It means that the camo spots that started at the port side were continued at the starboard with the same direction mostly. Unfortunately there is a kind of misalignment at the fuselage top between the cockpit and the fin.

Anyway ,

yes indeed, I find it very difficult to transfer the camo pattern from the trumpeter paint guide onto the model. looking at the guide I am not able to view the continuation between the port and starboard camo pattern, there are areas that are not viewable or am being irrational? Very hesitant to take on this type of camo again. seems that Trumpeter guide is not very good. I appreciate your input, just what i am looking for to improve my skill. how would you handle the camo on this particular model?

Wrong scale. Everyone knows that 1:72 is the proper scale. 1:48 is gauche. 1:32 is obscene. Anything of a larger scale should actually be able to fly and ideally, carry a person. Otherwise, it's a plastic orgy.
I am hoping to build one large enough for my Siamese cat to fly Thai AirForce?

Attachments

• 20210411_131840 (1).jpg
    322.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
how would you handle the camo on this particular model?

As I had mentioned that above and fubar57 diagram shows the camo is the RAF camo type. Here below there is the excerpt from the Trumpeter instruction. It can be noticed tthe continuation between the port and starboard camo pattern. Eg ... the camo spot that starts at the port wing top is running to the fuselage side and the going up to the fuselage top and joins the starboard side one via the rear window bar. Then going down get the top starboard wing at its root and running up again to the the front of the cockpit joins the side spot of the port fuselage that goes down to the top of the port window.

The kind of the continuation can be done either with a masking tape or paper masks you may obtain scanning the diagram and resize to the scale . Or you may use the BlueTack or Panzer Putty. These are like a plasticine. So bending it and fitting to the fuselage, wing curvature isn't difficult. The paper mask and also the ones made of the masking tape toy can get by cutting out them from the tape or printed in scale profiles and then stuck to the model. A note though if you use the acrylic paints I wouldn't recommend the masking tape as the material for making the camo spot masks.

See here ...

the Panzer Putty

The Blue Tack

The paper masks

the pic source: the net.

as you can see here I made stencils from the resized paint guide. the wings were easy and the fuselage was not. How did you adhere the paper stencil to the wing root area? made cuts to paper then taped over that? your photo pretty much solves my question.

I like the paper masks you used, seems like putty would not give me the demarcation I am looking for. I understand they used a rubber mask to apply camo on the real plane.

Users who are viewing this thread