What's on The Workbench

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Here are two pics of the AVG Hawk 81 "white 38" I found via the net.

View attachment 748811
View attachment 748810
the source: Curtiss Hawk 81A AVG 23FG2PS White 36 P-8123 Edward Rector Burma 1942

PS. I have found that the 'White 38" was flown by Henry Geselbracht and should have the CAF number P-8177, MFG 15940, RAF AM487. The CAF number P-8138, MFG 15834, RAF AM381 was the "White 57" according the roster accessed with the link below.

the info source: Flying Tigers: Curtiss H81-A3 aircraft

Additionally , there is a profile of the "White 38" both in the Combat Colours no.3 and Warpaint no.77. Both are with the panda and panther emblems but of the different camo scheme and the layout of the shark jaws. Anyway the shark jaws are extended to the area below the last exhaust pipe like in the two images above. The CC book doesn't provided the CAF number and the Warpaint one says it was P-8200. IMHO it is not correct because there is also a profile of the "White 36" that has the same CAF number. As mamo serves there wasn't a such number for the Chinese Hawk 81As. What is more the CC publication stated the pilot was Franklin Schwartz but not Henry Geselbracht.
so nice of you to provide these photos. I will display them with my model. really shot to hell eh?

added some weathering, always anxious about doing this, never seems quite right. gotta knock down some shiny area and remove some of the dust. seems like too much dust. subtle wear marks with silver pencil. Nearly finished just need PE gunsights.
PXL_20231212_193538830.jpg
PXL_20231212_193611657.jpg

Remember where these operated and the amount of maintenance care they got. Dirt fields in forward bases with a lot of quick flights. They would be somewhat beat up. Dirt grime oil stains in the lower sides exhaust stains back from the stacks. Have fun with it experiment and enjoy. Looks pretty good as is to me.

Remember where these operated and the amount of maintenance care they got. Dirt fields in forward bases with a lot of quick flights. They would be somewhat beat up. Dirt grime oil stains in the lower sides exhaust stains back from the stacks. Have fun with it experiment and enjoy. Looks pretty good as is to me.
yes indeed, I am going to contemplate what to do next in regard to fuel slop oil stains etc. apparently, they operated in the really crude airfield conditions.

They had a main base but several austere forward OB's. They went at the Kungming (IDK) base often. I did get to spend some time with BG Robert L. Scott while stationed at Robins AFB GA, out IPMS chapter was named for him and he would guest speaker for our dinners. He was a mainstay at the museum.

Last edited:
le_steph40 le_steph40 Good ones Steph. Maybe move one over to Ralph's 109 GB
Quoted because I don't know how to mention... :rolleyes: 😁

Geo, I don't think these models very interesting to show, as we say in France: "c'est du vu et revu" => it's seen and seen again (?)
I had built 2 Bf 109Gs in GB#57 there is some months ago, it's almost the same process :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back