What's on The Workbench

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

how were you able to transfer the camo pattern that transitions from wing to fuselage? I suspect individual prints of port, starboard and top of plane? I tried to copy top shot of guide only to no avail. I really like LF models masks, many choices there. I plan on purchasing mask then recommended model. looks much easier than making one. I have dyslexia that is a problem with this type of issue...for real. your work is outstanding.

For camo from the wing to the fuselage I just used Tamiya strips but for the wings I did just as you said. I enlarged the instructions to fit the aircraft. cut the masking film just large enough to lay over the pattern I want to mask. Remove the film to reveal the stickiness and lay it over the pattern. Its not very tacky from the get-go but I remove it a bit more. I then use small curved scissors to cut the pattern out and lay it over the model. I'm using Oramask more and more on RAF camo and shortly for Luftwaffe. While Luftwaffe patterns on the wing are, for the most part straight lines, I like that I can lay down large pieces instead of small strips of Tamiya. This is the type of scissor I use for cutting out bendy camo

the oramask is intriguing, had no idea what this was about, watched the instructional videos. I am going to try it out.

Last edited:
Thanks to George mentioning it during my last build, I hunted out some and am using it for the first time on my current build. I am impressed and last night carved out two very wavy fractures lines for the side of the fuselage and lay them on. Brilliant as the stuff can be relayed if your positioning was a little off the first time. So BIG THANKS to you George.

the oramask is intriguing, had no idea what this was about, watched the instructional videos. I am going to try it out.
Make sure you get 810. The others, 811 and 813 are more rigid so I've just learned. From the Orafol site.....

"Developed for use in conformable paint stencil applications, especially for paint and spray techniques on complex curves, uneven or semi-flexible substrates and surfaces requiring transparency of the paint mask for substrate visibility. Great for various automotive, aerospace, industrial equipment paint mask applications. Not suitable for wet applications. Remove stencil film prior to baking."

Though they say its good "....on complex curves...." its not really that flexible but it can be persuaded. As I mentioned above, fuselage camo curves are usually not as extreme as on the wings so I lay the Oramask up to the wing root and then use thin strips of Tamiya tape to carry the camo on the fuselage. The tape should overlap the Oramask a little

makes more sense to me now, affordable too, gracias.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread