What's the last book/magazine that you read?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Just finished "The White Rabbit" by Bruce Marshall. Wasn't too impressed with the start of the book, as there's very little about Yeo-Thomas' early life, other than that he was a Briton who grew up in France. Likewise, there is absolutely NOTHING after he returns to England following the war...literally. He lands, gets out, sees his girlfriend waiting on the tarmac, and the book ends. But the middle....his exploits while working to help the French Resistance groups, his capture, torture, imprisonment in Buchenwald, escape, capture, and escape again....man!

Overall....good book, but not the greatest. I want to know more about the MAN, not just about his wartime experiences. What did he do before and after the War? Also....maybe its a British thing, but a little bit less alliteration. Too much is ...well....too much. So, I'd give the book a 5.5 or 6 out of 10, personally, and will continue to search for more comprehensive reading about FFE Yeo-Thomas (heck, it wasn't until about chapter two that the author even mentioned what 'F.F.E.' stood for!).

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm in the middle of Anthony Cooper's 'Darwin Spitfires' which I have previously skimmed through, very good it is too!

I'm also re-reading and skimming through Christina Goulter's 'A Forgotten Offensive- Royal Air Force Coastal Command's Anti-Shipping Campaign 1940-1945' (edited by Sebastian Cox) so I look smarter than I am in the Blenheim torpedo bomber thread :)

I'd recommend both, but the Goulter book may be out of print now.

Cheers

Steve

"The Dog Did What?"by Amy Newmark. "101 stories about magical, miracles and mayhem". Very good book with anecdotes that will make you laugh, bring tears to your eyes, and leave you in awe as to how wonderful dogs are. Very good read.

Last edited:
"The Other Side of History: Daily Life in the Ancient World" by Professor Robert Garland

An in-depth view of daily life in antiquity, covering the eras of Mesopotamia, Egypt, Minos/Mycenae, Greece, Rome, Briton, etc. The people examined were from all walks of life: slave, merchant, soldier and everything in between.

We always read about the leaders, poets, politicians and generals feom those times, but rarely anything is said about the people, so this is sort of a "peek" into a hidden part of history.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back