What's the last book/magazine that you read?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
Tragedy of the Faithful: A History of the III. (Germanisches) SS Panzer Korps...

Working through Celebrating 50 Years of the Greatest Plastic Kits in the World, about Airfix and by Arthur Ward...

Both great reads!

Just finished "Alone on Guadalcanal" by Martin Clemens, about his time as a District Gov (or something similar) in the Solomon Islands, and how that job morphed into being a Coastwatcher, then his time with the Marines and the invaluable services his scouts and porters provided. I had a completely different idea about what he and the other Coastwatchers did, based on very brief mentions in other books...this book brought my knowledge back down to earth and up to date. Excellent reading!

Currently reading "Seal of Honor" by Gary Williams, about Navy Seal Lt. Michael Murphy, MOH (posthumous) recipient after action in Afghanistan in '05. Be careful...the book starts out with the family seeing reports of Seals in combat in Afg. on the news, and then progresses through the verification and funeral arrangements, then drops back to tell Lt. Murphy's story. I was nearly in tears a couple of times in the first chapter, I dunno if I could have completed the book if they'd left things in chronological order. Excellent book, though, even though its short and obviously full of padding (organization of SEAL teams, sections on specialized training, etc), its all very relevant and very interesting...and, being about SEALs, I know that if everything were declassified, the book would be about five times as long. But its still very good.

Last edited:
"Me So Far" by Donald Jack. The seventh of nine books in the series. The continuing adventures of Canadian Infantryman, Lt. Bartholomew Wolfe Bandy, who was forced into the Royal Flying Corps when his commanding officer found out the life expectancy of a pilot was extremely short. The first three books deal with his time during the Great War and the following books work their way through WW2. The man is a Grade "A" doofus who turns disaster into victory. Donald Jack emigrated to Canada from England in 1951, shortly after his service in the RAF. For me, this is a very funny series blending a fictional character with historical fact.

Geo

"Crete-The Batlle and the Resistance" by Antony Beevor.

No wonder Churchill didn't want to take on the Germans head on after such a catalogue of disasters for the British Army in the first three years of the war( France,Greece,Singapore, North Africa (Tobruk)etc)!

Steve

Dude, you're a SEAL? No way! Sweet!

Heh...my bad. I was actually referring to Lt. Murphy. Edited the post to reflect that! Me, I was an electrician's mate on subs, we did some DryDeck Shelter ops with one of the SEAL teams out of Pearl Harbor once or twice. I didn't get to talk to them much, but aside from spending an inordinate amount of time in the showers (average subber's shower-time was about 5 minutes to sparkly clean!), they seemed like really cool guys to me. And then I recently watched "Act of Valor". Damn. Just...well....damn. Watch the movie if you haven't.

"This Smuttee Squadron" by Gordon Clake. A pretty decent unit history of 78 squadron who flew Kittyhawks throughout the Pacific predominately in the ground attack role although they managed to notch up several air to air victories along the way. A good book to get an understanding of how a typical RAAF P-40 squadron operated, recommended.

Attachments

• x.jpg
    x.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 255
Antony Beevor is a grade A author as far as I'm concerned

He was also an 11th Hussar ( Prince Albert's Own or Cherry Pickers) which is fine by me but not something my old grandad,who was a 10th Hussar (Prince of Wales Own) would have approved of :)

These fine old regiments have all been amalgamated many times. Don't get me going on that one! I think the various regiments now comprise the King's Royal Hussars and have long since cashed in their horses for tanks.

Steve

Stereophile rag. Makes for a good monthly read of what I might have owned if I ever became rich. And I like all the technical jargon for some sick reason.

I just finished volume 1 of "The Last Lion: Visions of Glory 1874-1932" by William Manchester and started on #2, "The Last Lion: Alone 1932-1940". These books are an autobiography of Winston Spencer Churchill and I LOVE them!! Each volume runs about 1,000 pages so its a long read but well worth it. To paraphrase Monty Python: Theses books are all about being British, at least in the context of Churchill. I really can't put the books down.

I just finished volume 1 of "The Last Lion: Visions of Glory 1874-1932" by William Manchester and started on #2, "The Last Lion: Alone 1932-1940". These books are an autobiography of Winston Spencer Churchill and I LOVE them!! Each volume runs about 1,000 pages so its a long read but well worth it. To paraphrase Monty Python: Theses books are all about being British, at least in the context of Churchill. I really can't put the books down.

What do they say?
Inside every American is a Brit trying to get out :angel:
:occasion5:
Cheers
John

Wine, Women and Song.

It's the letters home of Doug Brown, 485 Sqn Spitfire Pilot.
It makes the war sound like on big party!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back