What's wrong.....with todays music?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I haven't read the entire thread, but here are my opinions, as a musician of 42 years:

1) All eras have given us great music and stinkers; and all generations cherish the music of their youth and scorn the newer music that those pesky kids are listening to.

2) The introduction of computers into the music-making process has done too much to strip music of human feel. The drive to perfection is robbing music of soul.

3) I've heard rap I love and rap I detest, just like any other genre of music (except opera -- I detest all opera).

4) The fact that instead of spending years mastering an instrument, people nowadays can plug in a piece of software, spool up a loop, and start yammering about "it's Friday" or such crap means that the absence of craft is starkly obvious in musicians of this ilk.

5) GVF are a great cover band. It's a shame they haven't carved out their own niche by now.

6) If you want to hear good modern music, get away from Clear-Channel style radio stations and listen to public radio. It's a broad range of styles with a lot of newer, unsung bands and many of them are really, really good.

7) The music industry is so fragmented that, unlike years past, new bands are no longer touted by record-label promo campaigns and given advances in order to finance a breakthrough. This is a double-edged sword: it's harder for young musicians to find broad popularity, but with the advent of digital recording and dissemination of music, now anyone with a couple thousand dollars of gear can produce professional-quality recordings.

The best thing about being a musician is that when I want to hear music I like, I can just sling my guitar, crank my amp, and let 'er rip.

And the bottom line: There's no arguing about taste.

Well said. Music is art. There is no right or wrong. Just individual tastes and opinions.

I am not a musician, but music is a major love of mine (especially live concerts). My favorite will always be 70s and 80s to early 90s heavy metal music (Metallica, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Slayer, Sabbath, Scorpions, etc.), but I also live all forms of Rock music (a guilty pleasure of mine is Rod Stewert and Brian Adams, and boy do I love Queen).

As a lover of metal music, I find that todays kids are more about just being heavier and louder than anything else, and the music in it is being lost, but that does not mean there is not good metal music coming out today.

I also can find good music in just about every genre. I even love going to musicals such as Wicked and Phantom of the Opera). I just don't like techno and electronic music. Just not my form of art.

I think too many people though are close minded when it comes to music, and they are missing out.

Last edited:

What he said.

Mine guilty pleasure is electronic music from the 1990s, plus some Croatian authors sometimes ('Hladno Pivo', Gibboni, Thompson), pus Pero Deformero across the Danube.

Saw a site just recently where the top ten most over rated bands were listed;

These included....

The Rolling Stones
The Beatles
Queen
Deep Purple...

and six more...

As Stated in a post above an open mind lets more in and in the case of music it is important to appreciate the time
period in each case. For example,I am not one for opera or orchestra music but in it's day it was powerful stuff - sort
of the heavy metal of it's time.

p.s. Lots of bands / performers keeping the blues roots going which is great thing (Chris Rea, Black Keys and so on...).

I love me some Rolling Stones (mostly for the live show) and Queen is just amazing. Freddie will always be the greatest front man in my opinion.

Wembley Stadium, Live Aid…

I like all of the genres, and of course taste is subjective.

The problem with "modern music" is the lack of objective musicality. This is of course only referencing "pop" genres - Country, Rock (where the hell is rock?) and Hip-Hop, and their more localized ethnic variations. None of this applies to the real music scenes.

Five elements define music:

Melody - less developed than prior eras, and often completely absent

Harmony - far less sophisticated, almost every single pop song is I-V-vi-IV. This did start in the 50's though, then it was I-vi-IV-V. But then we had the Beatles and all that followed, that blew the doors off the 50's stagnation.

Rhythm - snapped-to-grid, fake rhythms with far less variation in time signature and tempo

Form - far less variation in form or structure of the music

Timbre - homogenization of the sounds used themselves, exacerbated by software plug-ins

This doesn't mean there is no good music in Pop today, or that I hate people who enjoy themselves singing or dancing to it.

I'd even say that the relentless, monotonous oonce-oonce-oonce-oonce beat , simplified melody and harmony, is not modern. It is the historical norm. It's no different than the "polka" preset on that old home organ. Dance music has an important, vital place in any culture. Sometimes you just gotta get down. Don't overthink it.

The flowering of complexity in Pop that began with the Beatles was an anomaly that we were lucky to grow up in.

Rock has not disappeared, it is just less main stream and more underground.

When you've got 25,000 or so bands uploading songs (warning: that number is PIDOOMA used to make the point), it's a lot harder winnowing the wheat from the chaff.

It's also how the music industry has changed. With the internet and digital streaming the focus has shifted. More and more bands are on independent labels. The stadium rock days have passed, but music is still just as plentiful.

I changed to instrumentals about the same time.

Some of the modern music is foul as a vocal and yet good as an instrumental

Much of my listening is instrumental -- old jazz, 70s Jeff Beck, Satriani, and so on.

As for rap - my definition of music is If you can whistle it it is music and you cannot whistle rap

I can whistle melodies from some rap. The vocals don't carry the melody in most rap, which throws some folk off, but it's often still there.

If you want to hear a proto-thrash track, listen to this from Queen, circa 1974:

They could be operatic ... but good lord, they could throw down, too.

What passes for music now is all fecal. In the late sixties and early seventies I switched to country music because there was just too much that I hated about contemporary music. Now I prefer blues and bluegrass since country has gone to hell.
I am an old movie buff. There was a theatre in Toronto, Canada that put on old movies, and they even did old Silent movies. The Toronto Film Society puts them on too. There are a lot of very good, old movies out there.

The sad truth is that most movies made back in the teens, twenties and thirties are shit, and they were shit back then. What we generally see are a few masterpieces. Monkeys and typewriters.

Most movies today are shit too, but there has been not sufficient time to weed it all out.

If you see something old that is good, it was done properly back in the day. All the crap they made back then is gone.

I've seen any number of terrible old movies. I've seen a lot of really good movies with real plots and stories that were engaging. Nothing made today is worth the price of admission and they would have to pay very well for me to watch them. So called actors and actresses of today should have " Made in China" stamped on their butts because their skills are absolute garbage.

Users who are viewing this thread