What's wrong.....with todays music?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Even in the 50s as a small child I grew to love "DooWop", the Surf Guitar, and later in the 80s I liked AC/DC. Bon Jovi, etc. Rap and Hip Hop plus anything similar are trash to me. But then again if you want to eat garbage, why would I stop you?

Their first album is fantastic start-to-finish. There's not a bad song in the bunch, and Baker's production is top-notch, too.

I had the pleasure of meeting Elliot Easton in 1995, after a show he did as a sideman for, of all people, Frankie Stallone -- dude's gotta make a living, and EE made the best splash. Aside from being one hell of a guitarist (top-10 for my money), he's very gracious, gave me about fifteen minutes of talking guitar-playing without once looking at his watch impatiently.

Go to 3:15 for one of my favorite solos ever, where he manages to channel Jimmy Page and John Coltrane in the same solo.

Well said. Music is art. There is no right or wrong. Just individual tastes and opinions.

I am not a musician, but music is a major love of mine (especially live concerts). My favorite will always be 70s and 80s to early 90s heavy metal music (Metallica, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Slayer, Sabbath, Scorpions, etc.), but I also live all forms of Rock music (a guilty pleasure of mine is Rod Stewert and Brian Adams, and boy do I love Queen).

As a lover of metal music, I find that todays kids are more about just being heavier and louder than anything else, and the music in it is being lost, but that does not mean there is not good metal music coming out today.

I also can find good music in just about every genre. I even love going to musicals such as Wicked and Phantom of the Opera). I just don't like techno and electronic music. Just not my form of art.

I think too many people though are close minded when it comes to music, and they are missing out.
I have a better appreciation of it after listening to a professional voice coach and opera singer analysing singers. Charismatic Voice

She transcends music genres, rock, metal, jazz, modern, etc. I didn't have an understanding of the technicality involved until listening to her.

interesting item on news re modern music
Research has shown that rap is far more likely to be presented in court and interpreted literally than other genres of music. A 2016 study by criminologists at the University of California, Irvine, asked two groups of participants to read the same set of violent lyrics. One group was told the lyrics came from a country song, while the other was told they came from rap. Participants rated whether they found the lyrics offensive and whether they thought the lyrics were fictional or based on the writer's experience. They judged the lyrics to be more offensive and true to life when told they were rap.

The Irvine findings mirrored those of a study conducted by Stuart Fischoff, a psychology professor at California State University, Los Angeles, almost 20 years earlier. Dr. Fischoff presented 134 students with one of four scenarios about a young man and asked them to rate their impressions of him across nine personality traits, including "caring-uncaring," "gentle-rough" and "capable of murder-not capable of murder."

The first scenario described "an 18-year-old African American male high school senior," a track "champion" with "a good academic record" who made "extra money by singing at local parties." The second scenario described the same person but added one detail: "He is on trial accused of murdering a former girlfriend who was still in love with him, but has repeatedly declared that he is innocent of the charges." The third scenario did not mention the murder but instead asked the participant to read a set of rap lyrics by the young man. The fourth mentioned both the murder and the lyrics.

Dr. Fischoff found that the participants who read only about the lyrics reacted more negatively to the young man than the group who had read only about the alleged murder. "Clearly," he wrote, "participants were more put off by the rap lyrics than by the murder charges."

Q-past music.jpg

interesting item on news re modern music
Research has shown that rap is far more likely to be presented in court and interpreted literally than other genres of music. A 2016 study by criminologists at the University of California, Irvine, asked two groups of participants to read the same set of violent lyrics. One group was told the lyrics came from a country song, while the other was told they came from rap. Participants rated whether they found the lyrics offensive and whether they thought the lyrics were fictional or based on the writer's experience. They judged the lyrics to be more offensive and true to life when told they were rap.

The Irvine findings mirrored those of a study conducted by Stuart Fischoff, a psychology professor at California State University, Los Angeles, almost 20 years earlier. Dr. Fischoff presented 134 students with one of four scenarios about a young man and asked them to rate their impressions of him across nine personality traits, including "caring-uncaring," "gentle-rough" and "capable of murder-not capable of murder."

The first scenario described "an 18-year-old African American male high school senior," a track "champion" with "a good academic record" who made "extra money by singing at local parties." The second scenario described the same person but added one detail: "He is on trial accused of murdering a former girlfriend who was still in love with him, but has repeatedly declared that he is innocent of the charges." The third scenario did not mention the murder but instead asked the participant to read a set of rap lyrics by the young man. The fourth mentioned both the murder and the lyrics.

Dr. Fischoff found that the participants who read only about the lyrics reacted more negatively to the young man than the group who had read only about the alleged murder. "Clearly," he wrote, "participants were more put off by the rap lyrics than by the murder charges."
Very rarely, does county music go on about killing police, shooting someone in the face and all, typically country music is far more mellow, often lamenting about a girl that left the guy and such.

Even "devil worship" music aka Heavy Metal is nowhere near as street-violent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back