What's your opinion

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hambone

Recruit
Sep 29, 2009
What do You like most about World War two aircraft?

Everyone loves a good story and aviation is full of good stories. Add the drama of air combat and you have thrilling true stories.
The time perod is fascinating in so many ways. I am still amazed that thousands of aircraft were designed, built in quantity and used around the world from Alaska to the deserts of Africa in the space of a few years!
This is in contrast to the development periods of more modern craft like the F-22 or the new aerial tanker program!

Although I appreciate the technology and aesthetics of the aircraft, for me the main interest is the people who flew them.

Although I appreciate the technology and aesthetics of the aircraft, for me the main interest is the people who flew them.
I have to agree completely with that!

There were some incredibly advanced machines that were nothing but targets at the hands of experienced opponents, who in many cases, were flying outdated or obsolete aircraft.

I don't think we'll ever see another period of history that had such a broad range of aircraft in service at the same time. Everything from World War I technology to the jet age...

I guess to me it's the types that were designed and put into operation in such a short period of time. Each one did a specialty of it's own, and how well they did them. The courage of them that put their bony butts in them and went off to kill or be killed. Operating from such adverse conditions in such out of the way places. I have been on the CVS-10 Yorktown, and have flown off only in the old SH-34 during flight ops. That deck is bloody sh*t small from a mile or two off. A pitching deck in the rain in a TBM, F4F, or how about something the size of a Corsair!? I agree, there will never be another time in human history when such advances will be made. From biplane to jet fighter in the span of 6, just SIX years. Who couldn't like these aircraft? eh? Anyone who would ever pass up a ride in Any warbird is nuts. I rode in a mustang, I asks "where is the chute?", pilot says "I'm not bailing out of this!", me again "ok!". Loved it! cheers, Bill

Attachments

• BerniesBo_Cff.jpg
    BerniesBo_Cff.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
I just love anything techy, and warbirds are where technology meets with art in the most stunning way. Take a look at P-51, La-7, Fw-190, D.520, Ki-84, G.55, Mosquito, and you will have a problem trying to look away from that beauty :)

First and foremost to me, they are "Air Muscle Cars". They drip power and performance. Thier forms are sometimes elegent, sometimes functional, but the power always shows through.

The evolution of the aircraft from the 30s through the 40s along with the evolution of the tactics for their use. The progress and change was perhaps the fastest and most far reaching in the history of aviation. When the war began, there were bi planes in use. When it ended, jets with speeds approaching 600 mph. Strategic bombing, close support tactical air. Task forces built around the carrier and the eclipse of the battleship. Logistical support by air and airborne vertical envelopment. It makes the head swim.

I like the fact that they stem from an era where every major and almost every not-so-major power had their own different companies and design bureaus that that produced unique aircraft, as opposed to today when there are only a handful of major aerospace firms left in the whole world, and several of these are multinational conglomerates.

I like the fact that you can usually look at any unfamiliar WW2 plane and, with only a little experience, usually determine what nation produced it.

I like the fact that major types were built in the thousands and, individually, each plane built - even big ones like B-29s - were considered individually expendible in combat. This is opposed to today when the F-22 costs in the hundreds of millions USD apiece and the B-2 almost a billion and represent such individually big investments that even the USA can barely deploy 100 and husband/risk them very carefully.

No computers, no guided missiles, line of sight combat, combat often at altitudes where you can actually breathe, propellors, radial and in-line powerplants, you name it. Pilot skill and training seems much more important

Users who are viewing this thread

Back