When an Enemy Was a Friend (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hmmm. Wonder how accurate that is. Specifically if that vertical stab was that damaged. If so, that likely took some real flying to control yaw and bank angle with that engine out.

Hmmm. Wonder how accurate that is. Specifically if that vertical stab was that damaged. If so, that likely took some real flying to control yaw and bank angle with that engine out.
There's still plenty of surface area on the vertical stab and believe it or not you don't need that much rudder to fly a large multi engine aircraft. Directional control can also be achieved by adjusting the throttles on the running engines, even though the text said he had only one fully functioning engine...

I agree that there is plenty of vertical stabilator surface.

The fully functioning engine has got to be the port outboard. You could get more than two engines of full thrust if the remaining engines combined can generate more than one engine power. Also, the inboard starboard needs to be the most powerful of the two engines.

There's still plenty of surface area on the vertical stab and believe it or not you don't need that much rudder to fly a large multi engine aircraft. Directional control can also be achieved by adjusting the throttles on the running engines, even though the text said he had only one fully functioning engine...

You're getting me excited to start flying the TC-12!

Matt308: about the Gunner book. I got it today thought it was really good for the most part. I thought it could go in depth a little more but overall it was a great book and i recomend it to any one intrested in WWII aircraft

Okay, but remember the story that two other engines were severely damaged. One only able to put out "50%" power and the other subject to overspeeds. That's some serious flying FBJ. KUdos to that guy.

Why would the 109 pilot come up that close? I think even in the damaged condition the b-17 could be a threat - how'd he know that a gunner wouldn't let go a burst at him?

I remember Lyman saying that a pair of Fw190s came up and looked them over - he felt that they didn't bother with his plane because it would be a waste of ammo.

I think even in the damaged condition the b-17 could be a threat - how'd he know that a gunner wouldn't let go a burst at him?

Well, you don't really, could be like the 'Cottontail' gunner. But then again there could have been the feeling of mutual respect.

"comments: I was a tailgunner in WWII, ( 8th airforce) on the plane the" Glamour Gal". I flew 13 missions out of England over Europe. Our plane was in repair when we were called out on duty. We used the
"Dotty Jane". On our 13th mission, March 6th ( my birthday) 1944 to Berlin, we were hit by anti-aircraft fire over Berlin. Our radio man was blown out and 9 bombs, and 3 were wounded ( a waist gunner- Bob Benjamin, the top turret gunner- herbert Morris, and I in the tail.). The pilot flew us back to England, with only half the plane. The Dotty Jane never flew again, and it was my last mission due to wounds.
Pilot-Arthur Socolofsky
Co-pilot- hayden hughes
Navigator-Wray nHylton
Bomber- Charles Duncan
Radioman- Alton Moore
Ball Turret- Kenneth Olson
Waist gunner- Bob Benjamin
Waist gunner- Ralph Mertz
Tail gunner- Lyman Emrich
Lyman Emrich
447th Bomb Gp 708 th Bomb Sq
Aircraft: Glamour Gal
E-mail: [email protected]"
Hi chingachgook, I am glad I caught your story on the last mission of the Dottie Jane, I myself have become interested in the story due to a History assignment my son had to do for his class. My son coinsidently asked my neighbor if he would grant him an interview since he was a war veteran. Hesitantly my neighbor agreed. My son and two other classmates went on over to his home with a camcorder in hand for the interview, my neighbor was surprized by the camera idea but went on with the interview. After about 3 hours my son and his group came home, although my neighbor is 85 he can talk and talk. I myself had to make several cd's, some for the school and I made one for my neighbor. As I was watching and listening to him talk, I could not believe what I was listening to. I had no idea that I had a WWII hero living next door to me. He has recently told me that for so long he has not wanted to talk about the war. I have recently spoke and asked him more questions about what happened, in fact I went over to his home today and just sat and listened to him tell me about the incident which occured march 6 1944 ( your fathers cousins Bday), He explained to me what happened, My neighbor by the way was the top turret gunner, He even showed me a piece of shrapnel that hit him on the back of his knee.

Welcome to the forum shabby! Unfortunately, in the 3 years since Chingachgook's post, he was banned and hasn't been back. But I hope that doesn't deter you. Sounds like your neighbor has some great stories to tell!

I have removed the post in question as you have requested, however no where in this thread was anything posted that was disgraceful to any war veteran!

There are plenty of combat veterans in this forum (myself included) who would prevent such things from taking place. If he had false information, that can be corrected, but no one was trying to insult anyone.

I have posted this before - it was the first painting I am aware of about Brown and Stigler. I got this from Stigler in the late 80's.

Attachments

• Stigler and Brown - smallest.jpg
    Stigler and Brown - smallest.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 129

Users who are viewing this thread

Back