Which fighters did pilots feel safest in for crash landing? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

cheddar cheese said:
A normal landing in a 109 was hard enough! ;)
Actually, during 44-45 ,pilots crashlanded 109s all the time, and I think most times they got out ok. So maybe it WAS an ok aircraft to crashland after all. Remember that the difficult landing was mostly due to the landing gear, which makes no difference in a wheels up landing. On the other hand, the fw 190 must have been a handfull in such situations! High stall speed. :arcade:

plan_D said:
If we're sharing crash landing pictures, here's a P-47. He doesn't look like he's had a bad time in the air, so it was probably just a mistake on landing or take off.
He's lucky those fuel tanks didn't burst! :shock:

Look at this Dora guys! The pilot was actually killed. I'm amazed the aircraft is still in one piece! Must have glided on it's own if that's possible... (Operation Bodenplatte btw)

Attachments

• 12160_615.jpg
    12160_615.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 409
It's interesting that there doesn't appear to be any skid path on the ground behind the plane.

From: http://home.att.net/~historyzone/Seversky-Republic7.html

P-47wreck.JPG

This Thunderbolt suffered disabling engine damage from ground fire in April of 1945. The pilot elected to execute a wheels up landing in a soft field. Damage to the fighter is minimal and it would be repaired and back in service in very short order. Certainly, such a spectacular landing will draw a crowd of onlookers. In this case American GIs swarm around the Thunderbolt to get a close look at what they had seen pounding the Germans all across western Europe.

I know this is a FIGHTERS crash landing thread but I have to say that the B-17 was probably one of the best aircraft ever for crash landing.

Attachments

• b-17g_crash_landing1_149.jpg
    b-17g_crash_landing1_149.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 366
The Lancaster probably couldn't take a hard of a hit as the B-17 though.

You wouldn't want a perfectly flat under-side. You'd end up belly flopping it instead of belly landing.

Well there we go.

In the picture I posted it looks as though the crew escaped, or at least some of them did.

Attachments

• piaggio_p.108_bombardiere_129.jpeg
    piaggio_p.108_bombardiere_129.jpeg
    44.6 KB · Views: 328
That'd be fine. It's not perfectly flat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back