Which fighters did pilots feel safest in for crash landing?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

yes but even if the undercarriage had taken a few hits, the undercarriage of the -109 was weak, you cannt claim it wasn't.......

This 109E (1190) was downed on 30th sept 1940 and the damage is original and not doctored
Image from my own personal collection and may be used in the public domain

Attachments

• me_109e__1190__199.jpg
    me_109e__1190__199.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 492
Apparently it crashed in East Dean Sussex. The pilot was Host Parez recieved several wounds. The plane was toured all over the world raising funds for the war effort then it ended up in a farmers barn until 1960.

Attachments

• bf_109e_._214.jpg
    bf_109e_._214.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 475
I've heard the canopy is wrong. I think it's something like an E-5 canopy on an E-4 plane. I know that the RAF mixed and matched bits and pieces from 109s that ditched in Britain.

There is actually a picture of that exact same aircraft when it first crash landed. I'm in the process of finding it.

Now compare this photo taken right after it was shot down to the one I took of it in July of 2004. If you look carefully at the a/c canopy you will see that they are DIFFERENT. The one in the original photograph had CURVED and rounded frame while this one is VERY MUCH straight. Thus, though they restored it, they used a different model canopy than what was originally on the aircraft!

Someone did not pay attention to what they were doing and instead of manufacturing a correct canopy grabbed one off a different model.

Also note that other items are different: the nose spinner is now missing off of the a/c as displayed at Duxford's Imperial War Museum; there is a missing badge right behind the spinner on the cowl, and there is a black streak above the wing root in color (though some may argue it was oil exhaust but the pattern is not one of oil streaks and it blends in perfectly with the rest of the aircraft).

http://www.taphilo.com/jg26/index.shtml

That plane is Bf-109E-3 from JG26, shot down over Sussex during the Battle of Britain.

Attachments

• jg26109e_588.jpg
    jg26109e_588.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 441
Could be, but I am not sure of any that are airworthy. I know of some that are being restored right now but the only actual WW2 era original Me-109 I knew about was a Me-109G, which crashed and is being repaired right now.

Marseille flew a E model while staioned briefly on the Ost Front. The particualr model has been revamped and is still flwon today. What a fantastic sound too it has as it flew several thousand feet oer our ehads back in the month of October 2002 at the Chino,CA airport. What was special about this is it was the frst time they brought out the good looking Me 262 Schwalbe recon version for show and tell. Friend and pilot Hans Busch was there to tell of his expereicnes flying the jet on jabo and anti-bomber missions

e

DerAdlerIstGelandet said:
Could be, but I am not sure of any that are airworthy. I know of some that are being restored right now but the only actual WW2 era original Me-109 I knew about was a Me-109G, which crashed and is being repaired right now.

I recently saw a bf-109 in Oregon that had the correct engine with the note that it was airworthy. I'm not sure but I think it was a G. I'l try to get some more information on it.

wmaxt

trackend said:
cheers for the info lads sounds like there,s more than a couple about

It's in the Evergreen Aviation Museum in Medford, Oregon. This is a great little museum that I recomend to anyone who likes planes esp. WWII era.

The bf-109 G-10 and is flyable.
There are also have a Spitfire Mk. XVI and a DH-100 Mk 52 Vampire as well as the usual US fighters. Most of these aircraft are airworthy.

The site is http://www.sprucegoose.org/aircraft_artifacts/planes_fighters.html

wmaxt

Ever thought that the RAF took the spinner and canopy off it back in World War 2 to put on a flight worthy one so they could test it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back