Which WWII aircraft would you choose?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A Bv141 or FW189 just for the experience of flying around in a greenhouse. FA223
Not truly WW2 a Kalinin K7
Macchi 205\Fiat G55
Lysander, Sunderland

What would it take (in terms of modifications) to get the FAA on board with an Me 163?
As a towed homebuilt glider or maybe as a jet built under amateur rules as a single seater? You could probably do it. (Might want to consider a change to the landing gear.)

As a towed homebuilt glider or maybe as a jet built under amateur rules as a single seater? You could probably do it. (Might want to consider a change to the landing gear.)
There was an aerospace company based out of Mojave that had proposed a version of the Me163D, which did have landing gear, but the company recently went under, so the project never left the drawing board :(

A Bv141 or FW189 just for the experience of flying around in a greenhouse. FA223
Not truly WW2 a Kalinin K7
Macchi 205\Fiat G55
Lysander, Sunderland

For flying around in a greenhouse, there's always the Edgley Optica (This Incredible Plane: Edgley Optica - Plane & Pilot Magazine, Edgley Optica: Will No One Save This One-Eyed Aircraft? – Flight Training). There may even be a few about (The Edgley Optica - Introduction). According to Wikipedia, about 20 were made.

There was an aerospace company based out of Mojave that had proposed a version of the Me163D, which did have landing gear, but the company recently went under, so the project never left the drawing board :(

Defunct rocket company? Mojave? Was that company that put rockets into long-ezes and suggested a racing class? Like maybe 30 years ago?
(Mojave was a favorite hang out of mine. It's ;literally a placeof dreams.)

As I get older and want to see more of the Canadian wilderness, I'd like a medium to long range WW2 era amphibious aircraft that's small enough (sorry PBY Catalina) to fly solo and land on Canada's distant and smaller lakes, with wheels to operate from land and to attach skis in winter.

Grumman G-21 Goose, G-44 Widgeon J2F Duck are obvious choices. There's also the Saro Cutty Sark (too short ranged) and Cloud, and the Douglas Dolphin. Did the Japanese, Germans, Italians or French operate any amphibian aircraft in WW2? My top pick would have to be the Supermarine Sea Otter for its easy-stowage folding wings and biplane STOL capabilities. The poppet valve train on the Otter's Bristol Mercury should be reliable for decades.

Supermarine Sea Otter - Wikipedia

Postwar, Sea Otters were converted for civilian use. The cabin was soundproofed and fitted with heating. Seating for four passengers, a chemical toilet and a stowage for baggage were provided. As they were intended for use as Bush airplanes in remote areas, versatility was important. To allow cargo to be carried, the cabin floor was strengthened and fitted with lashing points, and the passenger seats made easily removable.[1]

Now, stick retractible wheels on the IMO beautiful Bréguet 790 Nautilus and we have another contender.

Last edited:
A He 177 would be fine or a He 280...
ara067.jpeg

Ok, so you have the finances and technical connections to have any single aircraft of WWII that actually existed during the war, built from the ground up, regardless of type or nationality - what would it be and why.

For me, it would be the He280 because it has a destinct 1930's look to it's design, it was a nimble and responsive aircraft and it was the world's first combat jet and no examples exist, making it extremely rare.
Zero. Fun to fly. Great acro. Don't have to be a billionaire to operate it, assuming, since we're in fantasy land, and there is an ample supply of parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back