Which WWII Axis nation produced most dangerous pilots? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yes in that respect you are correct.

And here's a tribute to my two favorite fighter pilots, hanging on my living room wall (much to the chagrin of my wife). Brillanten am Himmel (Diamonds in the Sky) by Heinz Krebs with the original sigs of Hartmann and Galland.

Attachments

• hart.jpg
    hart.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 213
  • hart2.jpg
    hart2.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 203
Was that a specific mission the artist drew of the two Aces?

Not a specific mission, but a great representation of two of only 27 men (ten pilots) to be awarded the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves, Swords and Diamonds (Oberst Hans-Ulrich Rudel was the only recipient of the Golden Oak Leaves, Swords, and Diamonds).

Best part is having Hartmann's and Galland's original signitures. :D

TO

The Indian foot soldiers defending Kong Kong were absolutely terrifying more than any other soldier...if only they had planes... Otherwise it would be the Russians! They were absolutely fearless and would ram opponents with the propellor when the ammo ran dry. Plus they were defending the dreaded Motherland.

The Indian foot soldiers defending Kong Kong were absolutely terrifying more than any other soldier...if only they had planes... Otherwise it would be the Russians! They were absolutely fearless and would ram opponents with the propellor when the ammo ran dry. Plus they were defending the dreaded Motherland.

The Russians were not Axis pilots...

I'm gonna go out on a limb here. Anybody willing to crash their plane into their enemy is the most dangerous pilot, IMHO. Kamikaze.

Hmm... problem is that a Kamikaze pilot isn't necessarily a skilled pilot.

Skilled pilots who operate their a/c well are the most dangerous to their foes, pure and simple. You can't win a war with Kamikazes.

I heard someone said that US pilots, who participate in both European and Pacific theatures, believed Japanese were the most fearsome opponents in comparison with their German counterparts.

I'd have to say the Soviets. Early in the war, with obsolete aircraft, they fought on, and frewuenyl rammed opponents

I'd have to say the Soviets. Early in the war, with obsolete aircraft, they fought on, and frewuenyl rammed opponents
Yes, but were they AXIS pilots?? I suppose you could claim they were briefly, when they co-operated with Hitler in deconstructing Poland.
Cheers,
Wes

Hmm... problem is that a Kamikaze pilot isn't necessarily a skilled pilot.

Skilled pilots who operate their a/c well are the most dangerous to their foes, pure and simple. You can't win a war with Kamikazes.

Even some of the aces weren't great pilots, but great tacticians and great shots.

It wasn't lack of fuel alone that prevented training. There was also lack of aircraft, lack of propellers, and most important, lack of instructors, who were put into cockpits to fight. A few escaped combat, particularly the pilots who flew for the factories, but many were conscripted to fight as attrition took its toll.

Much the same in Japan, who always had fewer aircraft than anyone else. They lost much of their cadre of well-trained pilots (but not all, by any means) by late 1943, and soldiered on with whatever they could train and throw out there.

LW pilots were in constant engagement from 1939 through mid 1945 against the most dangerous pilots of at least 10 different nations, often outnumbered, yet carved out great numbers of Allied crews during day and night - average skill levels dropped through attrition, but many Experten survived the war.

The Japanese and Finns and Italians had some great pilots but Collectively they were no match for LW.

100% agree, most German soldiers never even knew what was going on in their homeland behind those gates in those camps.

I'm not sure that's true; German troops were notorious for reprisals against any kind of resistance, like killing everybody in a village suspected of harboring resistance fighters, although that's a bit of a different story. German Army personnel on occupation duty would certainly know about rounding up Jews, Rom, and others and the associated pillaging. Japanese troops in China may well have been worse.

Yes, but were they AXIS pilots?? I suppose you could claim they were briefly, when they co-operated with Hitler in deconstructing Poland.
Cheers,
Wes
You're right. I'm brain dead. But given the total lack of cooperation in ANY meaningful way between Japan and Germany, was there even such a thing as an "Axis" pilot, or Japanese and German pilots, who just happened to have common enemies, but never common battles?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back