who killed him? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The Nerd

Airman
Sep 14, 2005
Snohomish Washinton
Who really shot down the G4M Betty that carryed Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto? Was it Rex Barber or Thomas Lamphier? Ive it from both sides and Im confused about it.

It is kind of accepted that way, but I don't know that we will ever have a definite answer. Here is my write up on it from my P-38 presentation I gave a year or so ago:
Yamamoto Raid
On April 18, 1943, in what was perhaps the most famous fighter mission of the war, 18 P-38s, fitted with specially prepared drops tanks flew a mission to down the plane carrying Isoroku Yamamoto. Major John Mitchell, a 339th FS ace, was chosen to lead the mission. The flight took off from Henderson Field on Guadalcanal at 7:00 AM. Two of the "hunter" group aircraft had to abort, Moore's tanks would not deliver fuel and McLanahan blew a tire at takeoff.

The 16 remaining aircraft flew for about 2 and a half hours at wave top level to avoid Japanese spotters. At that altitude over water, depth perception is lacking. Mitchell recalls watching one plane go low enough to kick up spray on his windshield! Fortunately, there were no mishaps on the way to intercept Yamamoto.

The last course change was made at 9:00 AM, heading directly at the shoreline of Bougainville. At 9:34 AM, Doug Canning was the first to spot the flight. Of the "killer" group, Frank Holmes and Lt Ray Hine, who had replaced Moore and McLanahan, could not get their drop tanks to jettison. This left Rex Barber and Thomas Lanphier to go after the Betty bomber transports. Everyone else flew cover for the killers.

At this point, there are no certain facts and some controversy. Two Betty bombers were claimed to have been shot down by Lanphier and Barber. Frank Holmes also claimed another after the initial 2, several minutes later over the water. The Air Combat Intelligence officers gathered the facts. Many years later, a survivor from one of the Betty's shot down, Admiral Ugaki, reported that only 2 Bettys were in the formation that day. Lanphier and Barber both claimed the kill. In the heat of battle at high speed, it is often hard to get all the fact and details. Japanese witnesses have reported facts that support both officer's claims of the kill. In the end, the Army gave each a half credit for the kill. Either way, Rex Barber stated that there was enough glory to spread around to everyone that flew the mission.

The mission was not without tragedy. Lt. Ray Hine did not return from the mission. He was last seen skimming the wavetops with smoke trailing from one of his engines. He was never found.

guys I knew Barber before he passed on, being a resident in Eastern Oregon, and I had a rather lengthy interview besides having him sign a personal in his book to me. His CO was farting around chasing Zero's and it was witnessed by others of the squadron doing the same. Barbers incident was viewed by two other P-38 pilots when yamamoto's Betty was pulverized and sent into the dense jungle.

There seemed to be a question of which Betty held Yamamoto. But I do have a tendency to agree that it was Barber. I would have to look at my notes again, but I do recall that it looked most likely that it was Barber.

I saw a really awesome painting depicting this conflict, years ago....
It was a masterstroke of planning, taking Yamamoto out, quite a coup, him being responsible for so much of the Japanese strategy and consequent damage to the US and Allied war-effort....

I saw a really awesome painting depicting this conflict, years ago....
It was a masterstroke of planning, taking Yamamoto out, quite a coup, him being responsible for so much of the Japanese strategy and consequent damage to the US and Allied war-effort....
Yah, I think I may have the painting that your talking about, it is called "Mission Accomplished!" and was painted by Roy Grinnell. Its an amazing picture.

And thanks to the machine that did it all: The P-38.
But the pilots are the ones who control these aircraft and make the decisions which make heroes out of them.

Eric I would strongly suggest reading Rex's book with his first person and eye witnese's accounts. Again his CO was off galloping after fighters but felt strongly that he was in position of authority that he would indeed get the full on credit for taking out Yam and his entourage. And so it was at least back then years gone by ...........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back