who killed him?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It is kind of accepted that way, but I don't know that we will ever have a definite answer. Here is my write up on it from my P-38 presentation I gave a year or so ago:

guys I knew Barber before he passed on, being a resident in Eastern Oregon, and I had a rather lengthy interview besides having him sign a personal in his book to me. His CO was farting around chasing Zero's and it was witnessed by others of the squadron doing the same. Barbers incident was viewed by two other P-38 pilots when yamamoto's Betty was pulverized and sent into the dense jungle.

There seemed to be a question of which Betty held Yamamoto. But I do have a tendency to agree that it was Barber. I would have to look at my notes again, but I do recall that it looked most likely that it was Barber.

I saw a really awesome painting depicting this conflict, years ago....
It was a masterstroke of planning, taking Yamamoto out, quite a coup, him being responsible for so much of the Japanese strategy and consequent damage to the US and Allied war-effort....

Yah, I think I may have the painting that your talking about, it is called "Mission Accomplished!" and was painted by Roy Grinnell. Its an amazing picture.

And thanks to the machine that did it all: The P-38.
But the pilots are the ones who control these aircraft and make the decisions which make heroes out of them.

Eric I would strongly suggest reading Rex's book with his first person and eye witnese's accounts. Again his CO was off galloping after fighters but felt strongly that he was in position of authority that he would indeed get the full on credit for taking out Yam and his entourage. And so it was at least back then years gone by ...........

Users who are viewing this thread