wich books should i buy

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

rochie

Staff
Mod
i'm gonna order some books next week.
i'm thinking of getting samurai by saburo sakai, stuka pilot hans ulrich and the blond knight of germany eric hartmann.
what do you guys think of these titles and do you have any suggestions of other books i should look out for ?
i was also considering wing commander johnnie johnson and to fly and fight bud anderson

sorry for the typo in the thread title:oops:

"The Blond Knight" was one of my favorite growing up. If I remember it was a pretty good read. For me "Stuka Pilot" was a little difficult - but thats just me.

what about the first and the last adolf galland i forgot about that one earlier

I was gonna mention that, also; I've got The Blond Knight of Germany, definitely one of the better WWII books out there. I've got The First And The Last, also, but I actually haven't read it yet. Another good book I've got on my bookshelf is The Luftwaffe War Diaries: The German Air Force in World War II , by Cajus Bekker.

My favourite WW2 book about flying is called Terror in the Starboard Seat by Dave Macintosh its about intruders and mixed with the tragedy is the horror but it's not at all lacking humour .

Depends on how you wanna spend.....To Fly And Fight by Bud Anderson, is a good buy I have that one myself and the Hartmann book and a similar one about Marseille.....
A must have book, if you can find and afford it is, JV44 The Galland Circus by Robert Fortsyth....

My mistake....these two is it that I have on Hartmann and Marseille....

0887403964.gif

0887405177.gif

I'll second Fighter General. Another great book is I could never be so Lucky Again by General James "Jimmy Doolittle". Long book, but very interesting.

rochie, did you want to stick with the air war? If not - and your tastes go this way - I would recommend "The Miracle of Dunkirk" by Walter Lord, who also wrote "A Night to Remember" about the Titantic. I couldn't put it down!

Agreed, Lucky!

And Rochie, 'Enemy Coast ahead' by Wing Commander Guy Gibson is an intersting read. He was requested to write it as a kind of moral booster for the RAF aircrews, and covers all his experiences, including the dams raid (with names and details being changed or 'generally described', this being 1944). The book in this form was published for the general public after the war, Gibson being killed in '44 while flying Mosquitos.

all great suggestions guys will probably end up getting through them all.
gonna try and get a couple of books a month starting with titles about ww2 pilots, aircraft and their battles etc hopefully i'll build up my knowlage on my this my favorite subject:thumbright:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back