Wood Grain Technique?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Vengeance

Airman
Jul 2, 2012
Melbourne
Hi Guys,
Looking for a good tutorial for creating a wood grain look, mainly for the propeller of a WW1 biplane I'm going to attempt, but also the inside of the fuselage.
I've heard rumours of a useful technique using Oil paint over the Acrylic base coat but I don't really understand the process. Could anyone enlighten me or direct me to a tutorial somewhere!!
Thanks in advance!!
Cheers,
Vengeance

That is where I was going to direct you also.
Quick tip, mark the prop all around with a pencil held horizontally to the prop on the bench, then move the pencil up with one, two or three credit cards (depending on the scale) and mark again. this will give you a way to "layer" the prop. Most WW1 propellers had 4 layers, but, of course, there were many differences. Choose a good tan and red brown for the different laminates and apply according to the lines. When dry, apply some streaks of grain. I usually use one darker red brown color dry, (and I mean dry), brushed over both tan and red brown and then apply a coat of clear semi-gloss for that varnished look.
You can also use colored pencils to simulate wood grain in smaller scales, dots and dashes, mostly. The trick is to know when to stop. If you work on a prop and say, "just a couple more". STOP. It's good as it is.

Best steps to follow as listed above, you usually edit the steps a bit here and there depending on the climate in your area.

Thanks for the tip Crimea (and others) the help is mighty helpful!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back