World Football (Soccer) Thread (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

is this offside?
YouTube - Canada x USA June 21 2007. Gold Cup Soccer Robbery!

Extremely tight one, the feet of the canadian player are behind the ones of the american player, but the first have his body some centimeters ahead.

Oh and Charles I will update some things about the Copa America as well

Gracias.

Here were the scores for all of the Gold Cup matches which the US won by beating Mexico 2-1 in Chicago yesterday.

Group A:

06.06.2007 Costa Rica - Canadá 7 p.m. G 1 : 2 Miami, Orange Bowl
06.06.2007 Guadeloupe - Haití 9 p.m. G 1 : 1 Miami, Orange Bowl
09.06.2007 Canadá - Guadeloupe 7 p.m. G 1 : 2 Miami, Orange Bowl
09.06.2007 Haití - Costa Rica 9 p.m. G 1 : 1 Miami, Orange Bowl
11.06.2007 Costa Rica - Guadeloupe 7 p.m. G 1 : 0 Miami, Orange Bowl
11.06.2007 Haití - Canadá 9 p.m. G 0 : 2 Miami, Orange Bowl

Group B:

07.06.2007 USA - Guatemala 6 p.m. Te, FSC 1 : 0 Los Angeles, Carson
07.06.2007 El Salvador - Trinidad Tobago 8 p.m. Te 2 : 1 Los Angeles, Carson
09.06.2007 Guatemala - El Salvador 12 p.m. Te 1 : 0 Los Angeles, Carson
09.06.2007 Trinidad Tobago - USA 2 p.m. Te, FSC 0 : 2 Los Angeles, Carson
12.06.2007 USA - El Salvador 7 p.m. Te, FSC 4 : 0 Boston, Foxboro
12.06.2007 Trinidad Tobago - Guatemala 9 p.m. Te 1 : 1 Boston, Foxboro

Group C:

08.06.2007 Panamá - Honduras 7 p.m. G 3 : 2 New York, New Jersey
08.06.2007 México - Cuba 9 p.m. Uni 2 : 1 New York, New Jersey
10.06.2007 Honduras - México 4 p.m. Uni 2 : 1 New York, New Jersey
10.06.2007 Panamá - Cuba 6 p.m. G 2 : 2 New York, New Jersey
13.06.2007 Cuba - Honduras 7 p.m. Te 0 : 5 Houston
13.06.2007 México - Panamá 9 p.m. Uni 1 : 0 Houston

Quarterfinals
Canada 3-0 Guatemala
USA 2-1 Panama
Mexico 1-0 Costa Rica
Guadelope 2-1 Honduras

Semi-Finals
USA 2-1 Canada
Mexico 1-0 Guadelope

Finals
USA 2-1 Mexico

Argentina too much for US in Copa America opener |

Argentine midfielder Lionel Messi, forward Hernan Crespo and defender Javier Zanetti greet teammate Juan Roman Riquelme in celebration after breaking a 1-1 with the United States. Crespo had two goals himself and Argentina won 4-1.

MARACAIBO, Venezuela (AP) — Missing most of its top players, the United States was trampled in its Copa America opener. Hernan Crespo scored twice, Pablo Aimar and Carlos Tevez added late goals and Argentina routed a youthful United States team 4-1 Thursday night in South America's championship.
Eddie Johnson put the U.S. ahead with a penalty kick in the ninth minute, but Crespo scored in the 11th and 64th minutes for fifth-ranked Argentina, which increasingly outplayed the Americans as the game progressed. Aimar connected in the 78th minute and Tevez scored in the 85th, just after entering the game.

The loss was the first for the United States since a 2-1 defeat to Ghana on June 22 last year in Germany, which eliminated the Americans from the World Cup. They had been 10-0-1 under Bob Bradley, who coached his first road game since replacing Bruce Arena as coach late last year.

Kasey Keller made his 101st international appearance, moving ahead of Tony Meola for the record among U.S. goalkeepers, but he was overwhelmed in the second half as his defense tired.

On Tuesday, the U.S. team plays Paraguay, which routed Colombia 5-0 in the opener of the doubleheader. The Colombians face Argentina.

FIND MORE STORIES IN: Argentina | Eddie Johnson | Copa America | Lionel Messi | Hernan Crespo | Carlos Tevez | Benny Feilhaber | Javier Zanetti | Roberto Abbondanzieri
The United States shocked Argentina 3-0 in the first round of the 1995 Copa America in Uruguay, but the Albiceleste already was assured of advancing and left many regulars out of its starting lineup.

This time, with former Argentine great Diego Maradona looking on in a national team jersey, Argentina fielded a full-strength lineup filled with stars from the world's top clubs.

Defender Jonathan Bornstein and midfielder Benny Feilhaber were the only holdovers from the U.S. starting lineup Sunday, when the Americans beat Mexico 2-1 in Chicago to win their second straight CONCACAF Gold Cup. Instead, the 13th-ranked Americans fielded a youthful side that included six starters with 10 international appearances or fewer.

Among them was Marvell Wynne, son of the former major league baseball player, who had his national team debut. Herculez Gomez, who replaced Taylor Twellman in the 69th minute, also made his first appearance for the national team.

Feilhaber, who had a spectacular winning goal against Mexico, created the play that led to the opening goal. Feilhaber split the defense with a pass half the length of the field in the seventh minute, and Johnson ran onto the ball for a breakaway on goalkeeper Roberto Abbondanzieri.

Johnson was knocked down from behind by Gabriel Milito, and Chilean referee Carlos Candia didn't hesitate to call the penalty. Johnson slotted the ball to the right post, with Abbondanzieri breaking the other way, for his 11th goal in 27 international appearances.

Argentina didn't waste any time in getting the equalizer. Juan Roman Riquelme took a free kick from about 35 yards out. The ball bounced through the defense and Gabriel Heinze got to it ahead of Keller. The ball went to Crespo, who put it in the open net.

Argentina didn't have another good scoring chance until the 43rd minute, when Keller leaped and with his right hand tipped Juan Sebastian Veron's blistering right-footed shot from about 20 yards off the crossbar.

Crespo scored his second goal off a pass from Messi, speeding unmarked into the penalty area and beating Keller from 8 yards. Aimar scored on a header from 12 yards off a cross from Heinze, who bent the ball back from near the corner. Tevez then collected a through ball from Riquelme on a failed offside trap, touched it ahead to himself and slotted the ball just inside the post to Keller's right.

Argentina too much for US in Copa America opener - USATODAY.com

I dont watch those too much but I probably should. Hell even the womens games I think are pretty good.

Well I like several sports: American Football, Hockey and Football (Soccer). Wel there are plenty of threads to talk about Hocky here and plenty of threads to talk about the NFL so I figured I would start up a World Soccer Thread since there are plenty of football fans out there.

Here everything Football (Soccer) can be discussed.

Oh and if you dont like Football (Soccer): syscom3 then please dont post stupid stuff like you tried to do during the World Cup 2006, just dont post in this thread.

I will first start off with the world rankings which come out every month and were just updated on June 13. A team is ranked based off its schedule, wins and performance, ranking of opponants and so forth. I have highlighted the teams of the majority of the members of this forum.

16 USA

I don't follow soccer, nor do I like it, but I do know that our soccer team has a reputation for being bad, so that number surprises me.

The number will fall shortly. I expect after loosing to Argentina the US ranking will fall back into the mid to high 20s.

In order for your ranking to rise you have to beat the big boys and the US does not seem to be able to do so. They can beat up on the smaller teams in S. America and N. America but when it comes to the big S. American and Europeans Teams they allways lose and that will not raise your ranking.

Well here are the latest scores (not all games played in the world obvoiusly. That is too many for me to keep track of).

I will try and keep track of the scores on a daily basis if possible from now on.

26 June 2007
Venezuela 2-2 Bolivia

27 June 2007
Chile 3-2 Ecuador
Saudi Arabia 2-1 Singapore
Mexico 2-0 Brazil (Wow!!! Brazil aint doing so hot lately)

28 June 2007
Argentina 4-1 USA
Paraguay 5-0 Columbia

29 June 2007
South Korea 3-0 Iraq

30 June 2007
Uruguay 1-0 Bolivia
Venezuela 2-0 Peru
Australia 3-0 Singapore

Todays matches:

Brazil - Chile
United Arab Emirates - N. Korea
Mexico - Ecuardor
Saudi Arabia - Oman

Tell you what, if you could convince all the NFL's running backs/wide receivers and get all the fastest NBA players on one soccer team, and gave them a year to learn how to play correctly, you'd have one hell of a soccer team.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back