World Football (Soccer) Thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Peru 2-1 Bolivia

Adler the final result was 2-2, peru clasificated for 4th finals, Bolivia did not.

Panama 0 Argentina 6

Yesterday I saw the repetition of that match, crushing, no a single chance for the central americans, that happen when you face people that simply did not play football. :)

0148941byj6.jpg

43060759ki9.jpg

Yesterday I saw the repetition of that match, crushing, no a single chance for the central americans, that happen when you face people that simply did not play football. :)

Like when Germany plays San Marino and beat them 13-0. It really was a boring game...8)

Aha and yes Charles you are correct about the Bolivia game. I somehow misread it off of the FIFA site. 2-1 was the half time score.

NFL is boring it's almost like watching paint dry. I'd prefer watching a soccer game to NFL as the play is contiuous and you get to watch the offence try and exploit the defence . How much time in a football game is watching the clock rundown with no action. I've been told there is actually less then 15 minutes of play in a 60 minute game

Ah, see that's where you're wrong. NFL is a game both of physicality and of strategy. You believe that they are exploiting the defense in soccer, eh? Let me tell you something, my friend. The entire game of American Football is exploiting weaknesses in the offense and defense. That IS the game. That is why there are those breaks. And as for 15 minutes ina 60 minute game, how do you figure that? There's 15 minutes per quarter. The game can stretch 3-4 hours in regulation time alone, and god forbid there's overtime (although that's when you know you're watching a great game!) Whereas soccer is about flow and continuity, football is about strategy and the players ability to execute the strategy. It's about what's going on behind the scenes, not what's on the field. Oh, yeah, sure, we love the guy who jumps 10 feet in the air to make a catch, or the guy who just destroyed the poor bastard across from him, giving him a concussion. But the real reason American's watch our type of football is the strategy. We watch the game, and as we're watching it, we theorize about how a team is going to react to a given situation based off their talent, defensive and offensive schemes, and their past history in such situations.

I.E., you don't run the ball when you see the blitz coming, and you really don't want to pass if the other team is in a prevent. Or if you get to the line and you see the defense is in a 50 defense, you better call an audible pretty damn fast, cause you are going to get sacked (and since I'm on defense on MY team, I'd be the sacker :D ). Now, I'm not chastising you, because you dislike football for the same reason I hate soccer, and that is merely the fact that we do not understand the other sport. I look at soccer from the football view, and you look at football from the soccer point of view.

The real reason football has such high ratings is the betting , I do watch NFL I live about 50 minutes away from the Bills , I also watch CFL but if given the option I prefer soccer and rugby over football . her is a comment I found elsewhere that says it better
"NFL fans know that games run three to three and half hours. And most of them know that the official game time is one hour. But how many know just how much actual play occurs? For how many minutes is the ball in play, from the time the center snaps it to the time the ref blows a play dead, during the course of those three hours?

About fifteen minutes, give or take a few.

That's it. That's all. Fifteen minutes of actual play. All the rest of the time you're looking at players standing around, instant replays, play reviews, officials jabbering, promos for next week's game or tonight's crime drama or comedy, commercials and more commercials and infamous commercial timeouts, players walking back to the huddle, players walking to the sideline, players occasionally throwing up, silly dances every time a player does something he's supposed to do, announcers jibbering, supercharged graphics displays instead of simple and quick informative displays, and so forth and so on for three endless hours. For putting up with all that fluffy nothing you get to see fifteen minutes of action. "

The real reason football has such high ratings is the betting , I do watch NFL I live about 50 minutes away from the Bills , I also watch CFL but if given the option I prefer soccer and rugby over football . her is a comment I found elsewhere that says it better
"NFL fans know that games run three to three and half hours. And most of them know that the official game time is one hour. But how many know just how much actual play occurs? For how many minutes is the ball in play, from the time the center snaps it to the time the ref blows a play dead, during the course of those three hours?

About fifteen minutes, give or take a few.

That's it. That's all. Fifteen minutes of actual play. All the rest of the time you're looking at players standing around, instant replays, play reviews, officials jabbering, promos for next week's game or tonight's crime drama or comedy, commercials and more commercials and infamous commercial timeouts, players walking back to the huddle, players walking to the sideline, players occasionally throwing up, silly dances every time a player does something he's supposed to do, announcers jibbering, supercharged graphics displays instead of simple and quick informative displays, and so forth and so on for three endless hours. For putting up with all that fluffy nothing you get to see fifteen minutes of action. "

To each his own, I suppose. I can see that with the NFL, but not in any other version of the sport as there is much less advertisements and instant replays. ANd I wasn't saying you were wrong in that you should like football, I was just saying you were wrong about there being no strategy. But this is a soccer thread, technically I shouldn't be here :D So have fun!

How is he wrong? Is he not allowed to have his opinion?

Just like you have yours about Soccer (which since you say he is wrong about the NFL I can say your opinion is wrong about soccer) he is entitled to have his opinion as well.

Kapish?

No you got me all wrong Andler. I was sayin he was wrong about the strategy aspect. Sorry that I didn't make myself clearer.

Only a select few watch soccer in this country, and most others make fun of them for it, i.e., people like me who play Football, Rugby, LaCrosse, Hockey, etc. We think it's a sport for girls, and we don't like it. Basically think the reverse of what Europe thinks about American football and you have soccer in the states. except for a couple million people (out of 300 million), no one likes the sport here.

I think you cannot cramm enough commercials in one soccergame, that's why Americans don't like it :) When I'm in the states, I'm always amazed by the amount of commercials on TV.

Yeah Erich, I cant wait until later this month when Germany squares off against England. It is a friendly match with no meaning or anything but the good old rivalry will be present. Germany should beat the English. They have not been playing very well.

And in Copa america today :

Venezuela vs Uruguay.

Chile vs Brasil.

There was a nasty incident testerday in wich 6 chileans players get back to his Hotel so wasted ( too much drink in a Venezuelan disco) that they had fight the security people to get in. :lol:

So..I guess Brasil going to wip those guys.

U20 for the 7th
Spain 4 Jordan 2
Uraguay 0 Zambia 2
Japan 0 Nigeria 0
Scotland 1 Costa rica 2
heading into round 2 so far
USA, Spain, Czech, Japan, Zambia, Nigeria, Argentina,poland
Eliminated Scotland,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back