Worst plane in its indended role(s)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

One of the benefits of the Fiesler Storch was it's amazing STOL capabilities. I actually saw one take off on the access road between the taxiway and the runway! It's about 3 lengths of the Storch fuselage. The STOL characteristics of the Storch are amazing even by today's standards.

Form follows function. The Storch did look awkward but it was its strange features that allowed it to preform so well.

As far as this thread is concerned, I imagine we will get the same selection of aircraft again including the Roc, the Battle, and the TBD.

If you can put it this way, I'd say its the first version of the ME-262, because Hitler wanted it to be a bomber role which is not a good thing at all because its way too fast and it just slows the 262 down, and also the 262 can't even carry more than 2000lb payload, so I think that the fighter-bombing 262 is one of the worst in its role.

The Me-262A-2a (Fighter-Bomber) wasn't the worst, although it wasn't a bomber as such. It could still rip up ground targets. And no matter what anyone says, the fact that Hitler wanted to put bombs on it didn't delay its production drastically - it was the lack of engines that did.

I'd say the Fairey Fulmar was a bad concept for a carrier fighter... Could'nt even stop the stukas from bombing HMS Illustrious...

You could say the same thing for practically every home-grown FAA aircraft. The only aircraft they developed that was even roughly comparable to American or Japanese designs was the Firefly and even it was outclassed as a fighter.

Hi to all!

Glad to find out this forum. I have been lurking few days but now registered member.

Fw-189 was not a bad plane. It's place is not here. It was used and it was good and sturdy observation/recce plane.

Pertsajakilu

ps. All what I have written now is under influence of few beers.

:lol:

and you can't go wrong if you like british aircraft, everyone will love you if you say they're the best in the world, just like they love me..............

The FW 189 was actually known for its sturdiness.

Nope, absolute worst in its intended role was the Boulton Paul Defiant.

What a brilliant concept a fighter that could not protect itself from front-on attacks, "Those Ruddy Jerries will never think to attack from the front, By Jove!"

Kiwimac

The Blackburn B-25 'Roc' was much worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back