WW 2 Axis Color !

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Some Japanese to change...

Kawasaki Ki-61:

Attachments

• ki61color4ui.jpg
    ki61color4ui.jpg
    315.3 KB · Views: 659
  • ki61color224df.jpg
    ki61color224df.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 669
  • ki61color38po.jpg
    ki61color38po.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 566
As my knowledge of WW2 Japanese aircraft is on a par with my knowledge of particle physics, I found the pics very interesting, thanks Celerite.
I think you might find, though Wayne, that these are prints from original reversal film, made direct, without the use of an interneg, I would guess from Sakura colour transparency film or similar. (possibly even Kodachrome 25 from the period.) A look at the tonal rendition of any B&W versions of the same shots could possibly confirm this, but don't take this as gospel, it's just my feeling. Terry.

As my knowledge of WW2 Japanese aircraft is on a par with my knowledge of particle physics, I found the pics very interesting, thanks Celerite.
I think you might find, though Wayne, that these are prints from original reversal film, made direct, without the use of an interneg, I would guess from Sakura colour transparency film or similar. (possibly even Kodachrome 25 from the period.) A look at the tonal rendition of any B&W versions of the same shots could possibly confirm this, but don't take this as gospel, it's just my feeling. Terry.

Hey Terry, here is the B&W shot, sorry it went across 2 pages..... and I scanned the original colourized shot with notes....

Source : A Pictorial History of the 244th Sentai, Tokyo's Defenders. by Takashi Sakurai

Attachments

• Ki-61_Black  White.JPG
    Ki-61_Black White.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 526
  • Ki-61_Colourized.JPG
    Ki-61_Colourized.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 530
Yes. There were very few color photographs by the Japanese until 1948 when massproduction of color film started.

Attachments

• Emperor's_brother_Yasuhito_in_London_1937.jpg
    Emperor's_brother_Yasuhito_in_London_1937.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 531
I stand corrected! Can't read the Japanese text, but it would be interesting to know which way it was done, as the result is very similar to the process I described. During my time with the 'Big Yellow Box', I had a go at colourisation with the old Eastman colour kit, discontinued in the early '50's, and the above results are much more realistic compared to that!
Very interesting.

Some more great pics from google/Life images.

Attachments

• b.jpg
    b.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 525
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 525
  • m.jpg
    m.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 521
  • n.jpg
    n.jpg