WW1 aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Just read on another forum that HAC at Duxford, Cambs run its Airco DH.9 for the first time. This one.

DH.9

Basking in the sun at Flying Legends.

DH.9 i

I can't seem to find any footage of it running apart from that posted in the forum, which came off stalkbook.

Far from bizarre, the de Bruyere C1 was great - not only a design which ticks a lot of boxes for a combat fighter but "Wow" what a visionary leap into the future! Compare it to Rutan's 'Quickie' ~65 years later. Shame it did a 'TITANIC' on the first outing but this does not necessarily mean that the design was at fault. A double shame there was no post-mortem and no resurrection.
I feel cheated!

I have to recommend the Seattle Museum of Flight's WW1 aircraft collection, both its replicas and actual aircraft.
I need to go visit that place again. Haven't been there since the late 1980's.
I hear its completely different now.
Have you been to Paul Allen's Flying Heritage museum in Arlington?
I still need to make that sojourn, too.
There's a small museum out in Port Townsend for a few years now. Went there when it first opened. Nice, but small. Lunch at Sruce Goose is worth the trip alone.

Elvis

UNITED KINGDOM - APRIL 15: A Sopwith Camel, First World War fighter seen outside a hangar. The Camel, being small and lightweight, represented the latest in fighter design at the time. It shot down 1,294 enemy aircraft during World War I (1914-1918), more than any other Allied fighter. More men lost their lives learning to fly it than using it in combat, because it was so hard to fly.

UNSPECIFIED - 1917: War 1914-1918. Accident of an airplane Farman during a night-landing. On 1917. BOY-8851. (Photo by Boyer/Roger Violle
UNSPECIFIED - 1914: War 1914-1918. Missed(failed) landing on the return to a bombardment. Airplane Farman piloted by Duchaussoy. BOY-8852

Last edited:
More men lost their lives learning to fly it than using it in combat, because it was so hard to fly.
Takeoffs and landings, it was like a BF109 on steroids. If you ground looped it spectacularly enough to break the wing bracing matrix, down comes the center section fuel tank right on top of the engine and the guns. "Good golly Miss Molly, great balls of fire!"

War and Conflict, World War War I, (1914-1918) pic: circa 1915, A German bomber about to take off from a snow covered field, The plane is twin engined and is fitted with a special apparatus for bomb dropping (Photo by Popperfoto

Oberleutnant Hermann Goering sits in the cockpit of his Fokker Dr.I #206/17 Triplane fighter aircraft of Jagdstaffel 27 from Jagdgeschwader III(JG III) circa May 1918 at Vivaise aerodrome in the Aisne department of northern France.
(Photo by © CORBIS/Corbis via Getty Images)
Hermann Goering with the pursuit pilots in Flanders when he was leader of a pursuit squadron.

Users who are viewing this thread