WW2 Warships vids.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nice one CB 8) Huge as Rodney was, she was in fact a scaled-down version of the gigantic N3 battleships that were 'cancelled' at the Washington naval talks. Had those, and the related G3 fast battleships, been built, the RN wouldn't have struggled for world-class battleships throughout WW2...

Nice one CB Huge as Rodney was, she was in fact a scaled-down version of the gigantic N3 battleships that were 'cancelled' at the Washington naval talks. Had those, and the related G3 fast battleships, been built, the RN wouldn't have struggled for world-class battleships throughout WW2...

You re welcome. I am bit surprized with the word "struggled"...suppose Argentina joined the allies in 1940, we only had 2 battleships, 7 cruisers and 13 destroyers....that would be struggling.

USN battleship USS Colorado, I think this was the one with electric drive.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whs-d80RfVo

"Named after Admiral Scheer, the victor at Jutland" Hmmmmm, sounds a little propagandaish. If he was the victor then why was his fleet back in port, unable to come out the next day while the Grand Fleet was ready for battle?

"Named after Admiral Scheer, the victor at Jutland" Hmmmmm, sounds a little propagandaish. If he was the victor then why was his fleet back in port, unable to come out the next day while the Grand Fleet was ready for battle?

Well, I actually agree with them. If you look at the losses and damage inflicted, Germany was a clear winner at Jutland. British Homefleet was not ready for battle the next day, but they had more reserves than the relatively small German navy.

The german fleet sink 155,000 tons of enemy warships in Jutland against 61,000 tons of the british, Scheer also escaped a trap designed by the britons to aniquilate him and the total of the hochseeflote with the 15 inch gunned battleships, I dont know if it was a triumph but certainly wasnt a defeat.

The Prinz Eugen 203mm gunned heavy cruiser.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Enc8a2GPz4

Both sides were justified in claiming victory at Jutland. The Germans sank more ships, but the RN were not forced to end their blockade, nor was their ability to immediately renew the engagement severely compromised. A dreadnought engagement was bound to be inconclusive anyway, as neither side was really willing to risk it's battleships in a Napoleonic naval fight to the finish.

One can argue about the victor in the Jutland Battle all day. However, at the end of the day the High Seas Fleet withdrew to the Jade and the Grand Fleet was pursuing. The Grand Fleet suffered more losses but it's strength compared to the High Seas Fleet was unimpaired. Although fewer German ships were sunk, there was extensive damage to a number of the heavy units and if weather and visibility had not conspired against Jellicoe the outcome could have been much worse for Scheer. The objective of the sortie by Scheer was to catch and defeat a portion of Jellicoe's forces and cut down the numerical advantage the RN had. In this, he failed and was then led into a trap and was fortunate that he got off as lightly as he did. The High Seas fleet could not be made ready to go out again until August. At 2145 the evening of June 2, Jellicoe informed the Admiralty that the Grand Fleet was again ready for sea and action at four hours notice. ( Page 65, "The Encyclopedia of Sea Warfare".)

It was over for the Glorious before it even started.Once a battleship gets that close to an Aircraft Carrier it's over.The A/C's defense is her planes and they were not up and then those little guns of the destoyers no range at all.Cheers

Nice Vids Charles I am doing the Graf Spee now in 1/350 and thinking of doing some other capital ships POW 1/350 in the stash and a 1/700 Tirpitz and Missouri.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back