WWII event, RAF Elvington, Yorkshire - 2009

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Loiner

Senior Airman
Dec 19, 2009
Leeds, Yorkshire, UK
These were taken at last year's annual weekend event that is held at our nearest air musuem, which is an old RAF and Free French WWII bomber base (Handley Page Halifax heavy bombers were stationed there).

Here's a small selection of photos from the event ...

P1000007.jpg

British Jeep mounting Vickers MMG, with C47 behind.

P1000002.jpg

M24 Chaffee, with US infrantyman.

P1000006.jpg

British special operations Jeep with Bren LMG, and US Jeep behind.

P1000008.jpg

Line up of various assorted Jeeps (except the one in the foreground is a post war M151).

P1000009.jpg

Line up of various 3/4 ton Dodge light trucks.

P1000032.jpg

British and US Jeep.

P1000034.jpg

M3 standard allied half track.

P1000035.jpg

US trucks (GMC and Studebaker?).

P1000030.jpg

Typical German BWW side car.

P1000036.jpg

British Auster light liaison and battlefield reconaiscance aircraft.

P1000039.jpg

British Austin staff car.

It was a great event, superb for anyone with an inerest in the subject, which I have something of a passion, and is an excellent reference for modelling (another passion of mine). They are holding another similar event this year.

There's plenty more photos if folk want to see more.

Last edited:
You won't find a single regular of this site that will ever tell you to stop posting pics like that! Man, I wish we had reenactments and events like this one here in the Dallas/FtWorth area....

Question....on the half-track, what exactly is that cylinder mounted on the front? My best guess is a winch, but the cable drums are all exposed on the deuce-n-a-half's. I could also guess that its a counter-weight, to keep the front end from popping up when coming over a rise/ditch/etc....anyway, I've always been curious about that but never remember to ask!

Thanks, I will post more in the next few days. I particularly have more trucks, jeeps and staff cars.

... Question....on the half-track, what exactly is that cylinder mounted on the front? My best guess is a winch, but the cable drums are all exposed on the deuce-n-a-half's. I could also guess that its a counter-weight, to keep the front end from popping up when coming over a rise/ditch/etc....anyway, I've always been curious about that but never remember to ask!

I think it's a fairly robust roller for helping the vehicle to overcome ground obstacles that would 'ground' the middle of the vehicle's clearance, such as logs, rubble or rocks. The roller is mounted with heavy duty springs angled down at about 45 deg, which is about the direction of the impact force you would expect from hitting an obstacle while travelling forwards, which would dampen the impact and allow the roller to push the vehicle up and over the obstacle while driven by the tracks. I could be wrong But I thank that's what it's for.

Ok, here's some more from the same event ...

P1000017.jpg

Universal or Bren carrier, as used widely by Britain and Canada throughout the war.

P1000016.jpg

5.5" medium artillary gun, widely used, with Matador tractor. The gun on the left I think is a 17pdr anti tank, used late in the war.

P1000014.jpg

the Matador heavy tractor in the middle of these trucks.

P1000015.jpg

Mostly British trucks, Bedfords in the foreground.

P1000012.jpg

A close up of the Scammell tractor unit.

P1000011.jpg

Most 1:48 modellers willl recognise this, the Austin 'Tilley', basiclly the utility version of the Austin A6.

P1000013.jpg

A close up of the Austin Tilley.

P1000010.jpg

I promised more staff cars, this RAF one is an absolute beauty, I fell in love with it as soon as I set eyes on it.

P1000027.jpg

The classic US 2.5 ton GMC CCKW truck, perhaps the most standard transport vehicle of the war.

P1000028.jpg

Close up of a US Jeep.

P1000003.jpg

There was small German contingent, this Kubelwagen was a nice example.

P1000005.jpg

Also the Kettenrad.

P1000038.jpg

There were loads of tented encampments with various displays of weapons and equipment.

P1000040.jpg

The quad .50" calibre Browning AA powered unit, truck mounted. Used from WWII to Vietnam, I'm not sure on the era of this particular one.

There was another event which is held annually in the nearby historic Yorkshire town of Pickering, held late last year, I will post photos of that event in the next few days. Watch this space ... :)

Last edited:
We got a cross post there. Great pics and I to love the RAF Staff Car, especially with the aircraft on the bonnet. Had one similar to that at a British car meet not so long back, a V8 Pilot

Where's Andy, he's just made a Kettenkrad

:hotsun: :hotsun:

The half track was superb, the detailing on it was just great; not surprisingly it won the best vehicle trophy. Even the looted wine stash on the roof was like it had been locally pilfered from some French village; they'd really thought it out well.

P1000034-closeup.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back