WWII in HD

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

davparlr

Senior Master Sergeant
Mar 23, 2006
Southern California
I just watched a series on History Channel called WWII in HD (I didn't watch it in HD though). It was a very moving presentation incorporating personal accounts in the telling of the war. Also, the show included some very interesting photography, some of which I don't think I have seen. It must be about 6-8 hours long. I would recommend it highly.

I think its been on for a few nights now. Of course, I missed the first couple of episodes (but did catch a segment on the Nazi concentration camps....frikkin sobering, really), so I'll wait until it hits DVD.

got to see the segment on Bert Stiles, very un-impressed, they could not ID where he went down nor the LW outfit the 339th fg faced on 26 November 44...............see my thread on my cousin and you will have the answer and maybe even where he he crashed into the hillsides S.W. of Hannover. Feel they could of done a better job overall on the whole

got to see the segment on Bert Stiles, very un-impressed, they could not ID where he went down nor the LW outfit the 339th fg faced on 26 November 44...............see my thread on my cousin and you will have the answer and maybe even where he he crashed into the hillsides S.W. of Hannover. Feel they could of done a better job overall on the whole

I can see why some would find it disappointing because of the lack of military detail, however I do not think that was the purpose of the program. I think it was more of a personal experience of war, what it feels like to be hit by a mortar or strafed and hit by an Bf-109, realizing your legs are encased in ice in a fox hole in the Ardennes, of pushing a mortally wounded shipmate away from a raft and watching while sharks attack him and not the ones on the raft, or the feelings and reflections of cutting the throat of a German soldier when all one wanted to do was be a muscian. The zombie like reactions of the concentration camp survivors when resecued was very moving. I can go on and on, what did it feel like to be on a Taffy 3 destroyer as it launches a suicidal attack on a Japanese cruiser, or be a B-17 copilot bucking flak and longing to be in the cockpit of a P-51. All in all, I was touched by the feelings of the program, of normal people thrown into the inhuman situations of war.

Agree with Dave, it was heavy duty. Not really detail oriented, more impressions. In truth, there is only so much of it I could watch before it got depressing. Starts bad and gets worse type of thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back