WWII movies

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Das Boot is very, very good. As are the other films you mentioned! Priller's run down the beach in The Longest Day is funny. :lol:

the directors Cut of Das Boot truly rules :) i mean,.. get the dvd, but it into a nice surround setup, and set it a bit loud.. the sound of the boat, when its getting under pressure is really amaring :)
anyway, other great movies ive seen:
The thin Red Line
enemy at the gates ( maybe not entirely accurate, but still a nice movie)
U-547 (not entirely shure about the number tough.. but you know, that bon jovi movie )
Saving Private Ryan
Memphis Belle
those old movies like a bridge to far. (but im shure you all mentioned them already :)

and espeacially not to forget. (just got the series myself)
Band of brothers (thats i a 10 episode series.. but it's totally awesome, and historical correct )

Das Boot is the best Submarine movie ever but you have to watch it in original langauge and if you dont speak German just use English subtitles because the English dubbing over is terrible. The movie is absolutely fabulous though.

U-571 was terrible. Completly innacurate and therefore not entertaining.

U-571 was not only stupidly inaccurate, it was insulting to many British. I've had to endure many a rant on the subject from friends of mine. :lol:
But seriously, I don't know why they even bothered to release it in the UK. It was garbage.

Agreed 100%. I think someone should come out with the true story and title it U-571 - The Not Destroyed By Hollywood Version

as were on the subject of war films at sea the silent enemy was a fine british black and white movie.it was about the italian chariots and their crews that planted their warheads to the bottoms of warships.the chariots were motorized underwater torpedoes and consisted of a 2 man crew.

Us lucky lot in MK have the actual U571 as used in the film!

If you visit Bletchley Park you can see the plywood and papier mache conning tower!

When we saw it we didn't know whether to laugh or cry. So bogus and it ends up here where all the secret work on Enigma was done! Someone has a devilish sense of humour methinks.

Das Boot is brilliant tho his later work like Perfect Storm was disappointing in comparison even tho the budget was much bigger. The Hollywood Effect I suppose.

I have to say most war films are IMHO not really worth paying money to see. I have a lot of them and sometimes wish I have saved my money.

Enemy at the Gates was OK in part. But Bob Hoskins as Kruschev? Brilliant! That LOTR escapee as the Soviet Hero? By then I was laughing so much I spilt my popcorn. Nice to see a yank as the evil hun though. Usually some Brit actor gets that choice role.

The film was supposed to be based on the book of the same name but is more like 'War of the Rats'. Brilliant novel.

If you want to play a sov soldier like in the film get Medal of Honor the game.

Forgive this latecomer to this thread but has no one mentioned let laone seen Tuskegee Airmen?

Excellent WW2 aviation movie.

Though not a WW2 movie, I suggest you check out the UK TV production 'Piece of Cake' - brilliant Battle of Britain tale based on the book.

Though not a WW2 plane movie, I like the film 'Kanal' by Andrezj Wajda which I am trying to get a DVD of for a reasonable price. Film noir in the Warsaw Ghetto uprising.

MW check out my vid clips elsewhere on this site from the C4 prog best ever war films.

I agree, Bob Hoskins did a brilliant job as Kruschev. Overall, while the producers of Enemy At The Gates took a lot of artistic licence, I thought it was a pretty good film. Maybe not quite accurate, but well made nonetheless.

Of course British actors are frequently the bad guys in film. The accent sounds so much more convincing somehow. ;)
Almost all of the Imperial officers in Star Wars are played by British actors, and the emperor himself. Can you imagine the emperor speaking that dialogue with a southern US drawl? :lol:

:lol: True, but it always cracks me up that Hollywood puts English actors in for any foreign character. I had a bit of trouble with Eney at the Gates because of that. I expected at least Russian accents. Oh well, I did enjoy it for entertainment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back