WWII movies

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yeah Midway was great! But i still think Band of Brothers and Saving Private Ryan had to be the best. They were very realistic.

DerAdlerIstGelandet said:
I would have to say my favorite is still The Longest Day. I just love that movie. It was the best in realism or accurasy but I love it.

Ive yet to see that, but from the clips ive seen and from what Ive heard it does look fantastic. My birthday soon though... :D

the longest day has 2 tempests in it when the germans are retreating and that german officer tries to escape from the in that kubelwagon.

sorry thats what becomes of being a tempestuous maniac :D

Ive seen Bridge over River Kwai and Memphis Belle but i havent seen the others that you just posted.

Bridge over River Kwai was a good movie. The British colonel or whatever in the end almost allowed the Japs to cross with their train!

My favorite POW movie would have to be The Great Escape.

I liked Memphis Belle but I did not like the fact that it was not very historically acurrate. I met the actual pilot Robert K. Morgan when he visited our ROTC class and he said the final mission went nothing down like the movie made it out to be. It is still a good movie though. Here are some actual pics of the belle taken from the Memphis Belle Assosiation Website http://www.memphisbelle.com/plane_legend/

The first one shows the crew standing in front of the aircraft after its final mission over German held terrority recieving its 25th mission bomb painted on the nose. The second is a picture of it flying back to the US from England.

Attachments

• belle_on_the_return_flight_from_england_166.jpg
    belle_on_the_return_flight_from_england_166.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 317
  • 25_mission_339.jpg
    25_mission_339.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 322
The movie Memphis Belle was more loosely a composite story of the whole bomb group. But an interesting fact about that movie is that William Wyler's daughter was one of the people responsible for making that movie. William Wyler did the original 45 minute documentary during the war on the Memphis Belle. While I agree about the historical inaccuracies, I still enjoyed the movie.

One thing a lot of people don't know is that Robert Morgan went to fly missions in the Pacific after the war bonds drive and flew B-29s for the Tokyo fire-bombing raids. The B-29 he flew was dubbed "Dauntless Dotty". He was the commander for the 869th BS and led the Tokyo bombing raid on November 24, 1944, the first bombing of Tokyo since the Doolittle raid.

Morgan completed 25 bombing runs in the Pacific in the B-29. On April 14, 1945, General O'Donnell suggested to Morgan that he had been extremely lucky and suggested that it was time he went home. Morgan agreed and left from Saipan 10 days later.

Robert Morgan died May 15, 2004. Rest well, sir, you have earned it. :salute:

Sometimes when you make a movie thats 100% historically accurate, it becomes 100% boring.

My understanding of the movie "Memphis Belle" was the director wanted to show all the things that happened to the B17's and B24's over Europe, not just this one airrcrew.

Heres another movie I like, thats about WW2 and rarely (if ever) discussed. WE forget that after the war ended, the armies and navies had to be demobilized.

The movie....."The Best Years OF Our Lives"

Anyone see this movie "Dark Blue World"....... about the Czech pilots that flew for the RAF?

It makes for a good companion film for those that liked "The Battle Of Britain"

A couple more movies about WW2 that I liked...
"Guadalcanal Diary"
"Merrills Mauraders"
"None But The Brave"
"Heaven Knows Mr Allison"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back