WWII Plane Wreckage ID Help Needed

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

mrpeanut05

Airman
Dec 3, 2008
Hey guys!

Just bought a neat little group of photos on ebay and stumbled across these three shots. Can anyone ID what type of plane it is? I assume it is German but it may be British.....

Thanks for the help guys :)

Attachments

• Fighterplane1.png
    Fighterplane1.png
    110.2 KB · Views: 297
  • Fighterplanebelly.png
    Fighterplanebelly.png
    127.5 KB · Views: 308
  • Figterplane2.png
    Figterplane2.png
    106.2 KB · Views: 298
Off the top of my head I'm going to say it is a French LeO 451 impressed into German servive (hence the splinter camo). - At least for the top and right picture.

Last edited:
Note that the main gear have begun to buckle through the top of the wing panels at what appears to be exactly the same location noted in the orthogonal pics. The fuselage diameter looks right, the aft gunner's station location looks right, the flaps and flap hinges look right. And the small window just aft of the cockpit looks right. I think we might have a winner.

Attachments

• leo4513vce5.jpg
    leo4513vce5.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 293
  • leo451plan.jpg
    leo451plan.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 288
  • Leo451f.jpg
    Leo451f.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 297
Wow!
You guys work quick! Thanks for your help, this was an obscure one! Were these commonly reused and repainted by the Germans?

War expediency. With France falling in 13 days, they had lots of hardware just sitting around. Planes, tanks, trucks, weapons, etc all put in service for mostly behind front lines security and support.

War expediency. With France falling in 13 days,

??? Hostilities ended on June 25, 45 days after the battle began on May 10.

I'm unsure if any of the LeO 451s were used in combat roles by the Germans other than secondary roles as already mentioned, but they did see limited action in the Middle East in the Levant by Vichy forces (Syria and Lebanon). In North Africa, several were impressed back into active service there and conducted bombing raids in Tunisa as well as being used as transport, both by Free French and US forces. Is it also believed Italy were given some by the Germans as part of the Armistice terms, though I'm not able to find what happened to them.

I don't suppose a location is given with the photos?

??? Hostilities ended on June 25, 45 days after the battle began on May 10.

So Arsenal your quote is from beginning of hostilities to surrender. We all know that. Tell us YOUR opinion of how many days from beginning of hostilities to when France was strategically lost? This isn't a pissing contest on getting our facts correct within a three-sigma margin. Jeez...

So Arsenal your quote is from beginning of hostilities to surrender. We all know that. Tell us YOUR opinion of how many days from beginning of hostilities to when France was strategically lost? This isn't a pissing contest on getting our facts correct within a three-sigma margin. Jeez...

If one were to look at it in terms of being strategically hopeless, I would say that it wasn't until after June 17 when the armies of the Maginot Line were cut off. With the initial 2-3 days after Fall Rot began on June 5, even the most depressed generals in the French high command gained renewed hope. The most significant difference in Fall Gelb and Fall Rot, is that German casualties even doubled. I'm curious to know why in your opinion, it was only 13 days. I felt you were stating it as fact. Belgium lasted 18.

The photos were taken at an airfield in Germany in June of 45. I will throw in a few more photos from the same album which were taken on the airfield.

Attachments

• C47.png
    C47.png
    120.5 KB · Views: 236
  • C472.png
    C472.png
    33.4 KB · Views: 226
  • CUB.png
    CUB.png
    132.6 KB · Views: 219
  • CUB2.png
    CUB2.png