XB70 Valkyrie

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I remember the first time I saw the Valkyrie. I was just out of collage, at the Air Force Museum for the first time. I was wondering around in daze caused by the sight of all those aircraft, taking pictures, and realized that where I was standing was a lot darker than the surrounding hanger. I looked up to see I was standing under the Valkyrie's engines and hadn't realized it. What an unbelievable aircraft!
I understand how you feel. Walking through the lobby of the SAC Museum, you walk underneath a SR-71! Still gives me goosebumps thinking about being so close that jet! Awesome! You really feel puny walking under that plane, I am guessing more so with the Valkyrie!

It's hard to get a good picture of it now that they've moved it to the experimental hanger. More light in there, but you can't get a picture of the whole thing. Took this shot last year and it still looks like something futuristic. I'll have to scan my old 35mm prints from when it was in the main hanger.

Attachments

• P2110225.JPG
    P2110225.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 144
I found those old 35mm prints and scanned a few. Even when it was in the big hanger it was hard to get a shot of the whole thing. These pics will give you an idea if the size of it.

Attachments

• hpqscan0001.jpg
    hpqscan0001.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 114
  • hpqscan0002.jpg
    hpqscan0002.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 110
  • hpqscan0004.jpg
    hpqscan0004.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 111
  • hpqscan0005.jpg
    hpqscan0005.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 120
  • hpqscan0006.jpg
    hpqscan0006.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 119
Yeah, with the exception of Glenn's photos, it is difficult to get an idea of the size of the Valkyrie. At 189' long with a wing span of 105', it is huge. But the height (30') is what really makes it look enormous.

Thanks to all for these great pictures.

The museum in Ohio(?) is one of my must see places.
The big shame. for me at least, is that none of the YB49s survived.
I'd dearly love to see one of those in the metal.

The B-35s and B-49s lined up, and the reason there are none at the Air Force Museum. The Secretary of Defense at the time (can't recall his name) wanted Northrop to merge with General Dynamics. When Jack Northrop refused the B-49 contract was canceled and Northrop was ordered to cut them all up. Very unusual that at least one wasn't saved for the Air Force Museum which was standard practice at the time. Dirty politics is nothing new.

Attachments

• Northrop_YB-49_8.jpg
    Northrop_YB-49_8.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 133
  • yb49-parked.jpg
    yb49-parked.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 172
I just don't get why they do that sometimes.
Everbody's flying wings had major problems with stability in flight until computers fly-by-wire came good for them, so why were they seen as such a threat to be wiped away so totally?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back