XM-8 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I hear ya. I already have a bad flinch habit that I have to really concentrate to minimize.

I don't own any hand cannons (unless you count S&W 686+ or Ruger SP101...I don't). I would say the worst kicking gun that I own is my Mossberg 590 with 2 1/2" OO or Enfield Mk I. With no recoil pad they are not uncomfortable, just enough to get this wimpy guys attention.

I swear to you that I saw an ad once that read:

"For Sale. .300WinMag. 19 Shells. $xxx or best offer"

Got a good laugh out of that one.

You have a Ruger SP101? I have been thinking about getting one as a home defensive piece that my wife could handle. In a stressful emergency situation, I think a revolver would have distinct advantages for her over a semi-auto as it wouldn't require cocking or a release of the safety before engaging the threat.

How do you like it? How does it shoot? Any complaints?

DAVIDICUS said:
DerAdlerIstGelandet,

I'd be interested in reading that article. I didn't know that the Beretta was so problematic. I have only heard that it is very reliable, even in sandy desert conditions.

I think the main downside of going from the 9mm to the .45 would be a loss of capacity. You just can't fit as many big fat rounds into the handle of a handgun. No combat handgun, with military spec ammo, has decent accuracy (3-1/2" groups at 25 yards would be impressive). Moreover, no one expects decent accuracy from a handgun. That's why the sights are fixed. In light of this, having lots of rounds is advantageous.

Keep us posted on any info about replacement of the M-9 or the 9mm.

I will see if I can find the article. My wife probably threw it out already. I believe the army is looking at an HK or a Glock right now. All I know is anything to replace my 9mm would be nice. I remember just going to the range and shoot in Iraq for our annual qualification (kind of funny since we were shooting our weapons almost daily down there, just on a 2 way shooting range :lol: ) and my 9mm jammed on me about 4 times before I was able to finish shooting the table. I cleaned it regularly and took very good care of it. I figure it could save my life one day, so I am going to take care of it but it jammed all the time. I really am not a fan of the 9mm.

Ive only owned air rifles really, and theyre not even mine! :lol:

Right im off to watch Blackadder... 8)

I too bought my SP101 for my wife. I bought the 3.25"? barreled version, as I was not looking for a snubby for concealment, but rather as a nightstand weapon. My wife is not a gun fanatic like me, so I needed a simple double action revolver that was small enough to fit her hand, yet provide some real stopping power. I figured I would get the .357Mag and the stoke it with .38spl for minimized recoil (110gr .38spl +P to be exact). I love the gun. Solid, good pointability, 5 shots, good manufacturing with minimal tool marks. It is not the lightest of "short barrelled pocket revolvers" by any stretch of the imagination. GREAT grips that look plain but feel right (rubber with plastic panels...sounds stupid but it works!). Sights are plain front with integral groove rear. You can send it off and get tritium inserts (either front or front/rear). However, for such short ranges as this gun was intended, whats the point.

Only complaint is the double action pull is too high. I have not measured it, but I suspect that it is above 12 or 13 pounds. My wife uses a double handed weaver stance, so she just uses two fingers for leverage. But be forewarned. Nothing a competent gunsmith couldn't cure.

I highly recommend getting one. I find that the more I handle it, the more I like it. Ruger makes a good solid gun for the money.

I think I might get the 2.25" bbl. I like the idea of stoking it with 38 Special +P's. (Less blinding muzzle flash in the dark and still lethal)

Thanks.

I'm still struggling with what a .38spl sounds like in a closed room. Now make the leap to .357. I suspect that while you may save your family's life discharing the firearm, you may never live to actually hear the praises.

I opted for the 3 inch version trying to justify in my mind the increased velocity as well as minimizing muzzle flash. I like the looks better too.

Attachments

• ruger_sp101_with_3_inch_117.gif
    ruger_sp101_with_3_inch_117.gif
    38 KB · Views: 437
  • ruger_sp101_with_2.25_inch_105.gif
    ruger_sp101_with_2.25_inch_105.gif
    36.5 KB · Views: 412
If it were just for storage in the bedroom for self-defense I would personally opt for a longer barrel as well (probably a 4" GP100).

I need something that can be taken on family camping excursions as well though, so I want something a bit smaller for concealed carry.

If your gonna pack it, you might want to look at the Taurus or small frame S&Ws. They are much lighter. Heck, I think (shudder) that you can get a Scandium or Titanium version that weighs (shudder again) about 11oz-13oz in (shudder) .357.

I don't care what manly man claims might exist...that's gotta hurt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back