xmas houselights

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

There's nothing wrong with putting lights on your house for Christmas. Not a thing. It makes the streets very colourful and festive looking, which is the whole idea. Nobody gives a damn that it has nothing to do with Jesus or the church, because the whole idea is to have fun with it. Many of the houses here already have their lights up, but I don't yet. Probably this next weekend.

When I lived with my dad at a complex I remember we always woke up at 5:30am to go open the shop, one time we were leaving during an icy winter morning he stops out the door to get his
Mattinee Gold lit (back when they still made those) then takes the walk down the two steps a slips and falls on his ass and slides out of the front yard and into the middle of the parking lot totally pissed off because he broke his smoke, next thing you know its 1 in the afternoon and we have just thawed out the sidewalks and the parking lot with a Mixture of salt and starch and a Tiger torch, we ended up getting to the shop 5 hours late and his employees are are playing foot hockey with an Ice chunk with a bunch of pissed off customers who had their vehichles serviced the day before and my dad looks at the the shops parking lot and says.

"I need you to help me thaw THIS ONE after you finish puttin the Christmas lights up"

God I never forgave him for that one.

NS, I know but here it is not a very common habit to put lights ON your house but mainly people install them INTO their windows...

i normally just put up some tinsel and some fairy lights on a small tree in my room, but i don't think i'll have room this year, here's my room at christmas last year, i knew i'd find a use for this picture at some point!

ignore the sea of mess, and yes, it is still there.........

Attachments

• my_room_124.jpg
    my_room_124.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 188
fairy lights ? hmmmmmmmmmm

forget I asked.

putting up lights on the backyard Maple trees right now amidst rain showers. the birds are really tripping out with me being in their domain

My family doesn't celebrate christmas, it's a pointless venture to us. There's no children in the family, and none of us need an excuse to go out and get drunk. We don't exchange gifts, we don't have decorations, we don't do anything that's normally associated with christmas.

My wife and I don't have kids, but we both love Christmas just the same. Well, I'm a big kid anyway. :rolleyes:
You hardly need kids to enjoy Christmas. To us it's less about the religion and more about friends and loved ones.

I never turn down a gift or an offering of food though. ;)

What are these 'loved ones' you speak of? I can understand you and others enjoying it, but my family sees it as pointless. We 'celebrate' it around my nephew for his sake as he's only seven years old, but at home we don't.

You may enjoy getting gifts, as I do, but do you enjoy forking out money to give other's gifts? I know I don't. Plus the fact, I'd rather just buy myself something and let them do the same.

plan_D said:
What are these 'loved ones' you speak of? I can understand you and others enjoying it, but my family sees it as pointless. We 'celebrate' it around my nephew for his sake as he's only seven years old, but at home we don't.

You may enjoy getting gifts, as I do, but do you enjoy forking out money to give other's gifts? I know I don't. Plus the fact, I'd rather just buy myself something and let them do the same.

That's a good point plan_D, atleast for me. As a Jewish family, we don't celebrate Christmas niether... But my mom's mom isn't Jewish, so we come to her place and "celeberate" it for her sake. This way, I quite like the point of the holiday, because it is not about consuming pointless shitty gifts or anything but the whole family is together for one day and they're discussing and talking about the family history, politics, whatever... On the top of it, everyone is fed well and we make our grandma pleasure and give her some gifts, too.

Today this holiday lost its original meaning for lik 90% of people... I can see that at the end of September, there is all around the shops this Xmass lights, Snata's and all that kitschy shit... One TV ad they screen all the time now is: "Your kids wish toys from Hypernova" (Hypernova is something like Tesco)..........

Yesterady I've been to Tesco to buy my china food. There was a reall mess, all these Czech idiots, carrying tons of worthless shit in their carts......

:rolleyes:

the spirit of Christmas is Christ but if you want to look beyond Him then it is the spirit of giving not receiving. A mouthful but by giving to others you recveive in return. Personally the old German traditions along with the overwhleming Americana of putting up hordes of Christmas lights gives my familie joy and esepcially the older folk~ widows in my neighborhood. What a eye feast to have brilliance at night in sucha diverse way in a rather gloomy looking month of otherwise dark skies and fog. At least it is something to get your adrenilin going in a positive way instead of all the ignorance and negativity. True the seliing and buying-you need this philosophy is tedious and rather boring/bothersome.

just enjoy the season and QUIT YOUR WHINING ! America is basically screwing itself with all the hoopla of removing Christmas from schools and the familiar greeting all around.

ok guys add your two cento's ........... :idea: :arrow: note, please don't make this into a bitch session or I'm going to grab my nailed 2x4 and beat your ass. Christmas is what you make it .....

v/r ♪ E ♪

Every year for Christmas we normally have family down, but its just gonna be me and the folks this year which will be quite nice. A few presents that I chose the other day, some curry for tea and an evening on the computer. I dont like christmas that much either thought to be honest

Bah Humbug Scrooge had the right idea, stuff Jacob Marley I hope Tiny Tim's crutch catches fire (painfull).
Everyone comes round gets gives totally usless gifts, usually underwear and socks.
Why is that? does every male in the UK have smelly feet and shit themselves just before Christmas day? (no comments from across the pond please).
Then its ram food booze in their gobs till their on the verge of exploding, play some unbelievably stupid games while wearing paper hats, like hold a orange between your knees while you smack gran in the tits with a balloon, or bloody Monopoly at which point some knobhead cousin says "just imagine if this money was real" . Then everyone sits down and all fall asleep watching (in the UK) re runs of the Morecome Wise Christmas show.

:reindeer: Happy Chistmas :reindeer: :signarg:

Having said all that I bet we end up with a, post your Christmas decorations thread

Haha Track that was a funny post :lol: And A very true perspective of christmas in the UK. IAnother thing that annoys me is that they always say the Great Escape will be on but it never is!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back