XP-39 II - The Groundhog Day Thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
I admit to finding the idea that not every aircraft in a squadron needed an IFF set somewhat bemusing. Almost every time a squadron went into combat they got split up. How many times have you heard of an aircraft getting a bearing home by using it's IFF set. I can imagine them drawing lots before take off because everyone would want the one with IFF.

Yes, indeed, if you took out the IFFs of all the squadron except one, what happens if that unlucky soul gets shot down? Just because the Russians did it, doesn't make it a great idea............... They had a very different and distinct set of circumstances compared to what the USAAF was doing over Europe and the SW Pacific area, so much so, that they were fighting a completely different war.

IFF is redundant if there is no radar at your base. In 1942 Port Moresby didn't have radar until October and Guadalcanal until September. PM had Australian radar but it was too far away to do any good. IFF is also redundant in every plane on a mission. A 16 plane squadron mission didn't need every plane in the squadron to have an IFF set.

So when the bases did get radar you would re-install the IFF, losing the small performance from removing it?

As others have said, if your aircraft doesn't have IFF and you are separated from your squadron, you are suddenly a bogey that needs to be dealt with.

I have what must be a morbid fascination with this thread. It's like I can't look away from a traffic accident as it unfolds.

There are fanboys for aircraft, cars, V8 engines and many can be very passionate about their favorite choice but then you have people that take it to another level, to the point of fanaticism despite all the facts put to them, that describes this thread

Look at the Ad at the bottom of the screenshot taken just now! :lol:

Screenshot_2021-01-16-19-19-41.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back