Yamato

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Impressive. Wonder how many man-hours went into that. Couple of questions though. I'll show my ignorance of ships here so bear with me.

What is this on the port and starboard aft? Is this just a large door for machinery maintenance?

Attachments

• yamtor_38.jpg
    yamtor_38.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 152
  • yamtor_82.jpg
    yamtor_82.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 158
  • yamtor_89.jpg
    yamtor_89.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 152
...and what are these gun-less armoured turrets used for. There appear to be multiple types and locations.

Attachments

• yamtor_74.jpg
    yamtor_74.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 156
Cool model. Luckily for the US, the Japanese built Yamato, Musashi, and the bastardized Shinano rather than 10 more Shokakus...

What was your point? Your knowledge, and my ignorance, resulted in me having to Wiki Japanese names to figure out your point. Dumb it down for me please. :)

Matt

The hangers are where the seaplanes were stored with their wings folded.

Swung out along the overhead gantry then lifted up to the catapaults by the crane.

The "gunless" turrets are AA directors.

Matt

The hangers are where the seaplanes were stored with their wings folded.

Swung out along the overhead gantry then lifted up to the catapaults by the crane.

The "gunless" turrets are AA directors.

Thanks, K9. I had guessed the gunless turrets were AA directors, but assumed that there would have been obvious optics exposed. They seemed too... armoured, I guess.

What was your point? Your knowledge, and my ignorance, resulted in me having to Wiki Japanese names to figure out your point. Dumb it down for me please. :)

Shokaku class carriers were exactly what the Japanese Navy needed in WWII - large, fast carriers, able to absorb some punishment, decent AA Guns, and able to operate a large carrier group, weighing in at roughly 25,000 tons, completed in 1941. Just in terms of metal - the three Japanese juggernauts above were almost 200,000 tons. Very poor use of resources.

This is me in front of one of the 6" guns taken off of the IJN Musashi and placed on Corregidore.

Sorry for the quality of the pic.

Attachments

• 3 Manila Feb 98 16a.jpg
    3 Manila Feb 98 16a.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 82
Shokaku class carriers were exactly what the Japanese Navy needed in WWII - large, fast carriers, able to absorb some punishment, decent AA Guns, and able to operate a large carrier group, weighing in at roughly 25,000 tons, completed in 1941. Just in terms of metal - the three Japanese juggernauts above were almost 200,000 tons. Very poor use of resources.

:thumbup: Gotcha. Thx.

Well the big doors left and right are to bring out the small launch boats. Note the big rail in top of the boet. There you couldt lift the boat up and down and bring them on board. They dont want any small boats and rafts on deck because the gun blast wouldt destroy them. Float planes couldt bring in too.
The range finders where armoured but the optics are covered with a blind uncovered under battle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back