Yay or Nay....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I think servicing a well polished active plane, either military or civil, is much harder than a colored / camouflaged one, I would say a nightmare for ground crew. But I agree with shiny ones to be used in museums.

There is a possibility for my error or wrong understanding, due to lack of knowledge and experience with Aircrafts.

I think servicing a well polished active plane, either military or civil, is much harder than a colored / camouflaged one, I would say a nightmare for ground crew. But I agree with shiny ones to be used in museums.

There is a possibility for my error or wrong understanding, due to lack of knowledge and experience with Aircrafts.
Natural metal finish aircraft were kept clean (when possible) during the war, but they weren't polished to a high shine (except for some test aircraft) like they are today.

You are correct, it takes a considerable amount of time to polish an aircraft, time that ground crews didn't have.

I'm pretty sure that you knew when wrote that comment, that it was not what I meant, but I couldn't think of a better word at the time, but shape, appearance, looks (a few suggestions to the swedish word "utseende"), right paint....as they were more than likely not this well polished in their service life....😉😆😂
Bright and shiny means it reflects the light and makes it really easy to find for those hunting it. Shiny bare metal absolutely screams come shoot me.

Reading the stuff from when the USA investigated what the Brits were doing with Mustang MkIs in service, the painted surfaces were treated pretty much as you would treat a polished one, especially the wings.

Right troops, how about this one then....

Pineapple pizza! 😳😲

food-pineapple-pizza-1.jpg

Regarding the polished finish on warbirds, it's done to protect the aircraft. I live pretty close to Fantasy of Flight. Kermit Weeks has the Mustang C, painted as Lee Archer's redtailed "Ina, the Macon Belle," as well as the D model, painted as George Preddy's bluenoser. They're both highly polished. Given that Kermit is a HUGE stickler for accuracy, I asked him about it. The finish used to get that polished look reduces corrosion, protecting and extending the life of the aircraft. Kermit is such an accuracy fiend, he even makes sure the modern wiring in planes he's restoring and having restored has insulation which matches the color and texture of the original, so if someone looked inside, they couldn't tell it was modern wiring. Still, he uses the highly polished finish to protect the planes. Also, airshow judges SHOULD count points off authenticity for something like that, but they specifically don't. That says to me the warbird community is more concerned with preserving the planes, which is how it should be. Personally, I hate the shiny finish. However, if I had a warbird of my own, it would probably be shiny, just because I'd want it to last as long as humanly possible.

-Irish

Regarding the polished finish on warbirds, it's done to protect the aircraft. I live pretty close to Fantasy of Flight. Kermit Weeks has the Mustang C, painted as Lee Archer's redtailed "Ina, the Macon Belle," as well as the D model, painted as George Preddy's bluenoser. They're both highly polished. Given that Kermit is a HUGE stickler for accuracy, I asked him about it. The finish used to get that polished look reduces corrosion, protecting and extending the life of the aircraft. Kermit is such an accuracy fiend, he even makes sure the modern wiring in planes he's restoring and having restored has insulation which matches the color and texture of the original, so if someone looked inside, they couldn't tell it was modern wiring. Still, he uses the highly polished finish to protect the planes. Also, airshow judges SHOULD count points off authenticity for something like that, but they specifically don't. That says to me the warbird community is more concerned with preserving the planes, which is how it should be. Personally, I hate the shiny finish. However, if I had a warbird of my own, it would probably be shiny, just because I'd want it to last as long as humanly possible.

-Irish
Polished aluminum works with continual maintenance and considering Kermit's deep pockets this shouldn't be an issue for him. For a smaller operator it's more trouble than what it's worth IMO unless you have several martial arts students working for you or you're one for self torture

Users who are viewing this thread

Back