Yellow or orange banded Vals at Pearl Harbor?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

PFF

Airman
Oct 21, 2007
Did any carrier "Vals" at Pearl harbor Attack 7 December 1941 have Yellow or orange "tail/belly" bands? if so from what carrier?

Found this in the book Japanese Carrier Airgroups, 1941-45

Attachments

• Jap marking 1.JPG
    Jap marking 1.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 193
  • Jap marking.JPG
    Jap marking.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 223
Micdrow: What have you got for markings of the "Rufe" seaplane ?
I've got a rubber powered balsa model to do after I finish the FW-190
and a BF109. Thanks...

Charles

Micdrow: What have you got for markings of the "Rufe" seaplane ?
I've got a rubber powered balsa model to do after I finish the FW-190
and a BF109. Thanks...

Charles

I will have to do some looking around and see if I have any. I do have this profile which I think would make a pretty good candidate though.

Attachments

• Rufe.JPG
    Rufe.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 196
Sorry Charles, all I have are profiles. These are from the book Aircam series on the zero.

Attachments

• Rufe a.JPG
    Rufe a.JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 203
There are some "profiles" that indicate only Soryu and Hiryu 'Command' Vals carried yellow command striping on the tails.
I don't recall any photo's that confirm this, the detail originates from japanese researchers and historians of PH aircraft via PH veterans and documents compiled for various published articles about PH aircraft, colours, pilots and aircrew.One primary article is "Shinjuwan No 101 K" ( Pearl Harbor and 101 aircraft) by H. Yoshimura, M Asano and David Aiken. I need to find the link to this article for you.
All other 'Command' Vals used Red or White tail stripping.

I use to know David Aiken, at least though the internet. I believe he is the president of the Pearl Harbor museum in Texas. Knows a great deal on Japanese aircraft.

You can usual get in touch with him at J-aircraft.com

Hi Charles, Dull red, interesting. Could it possible be a captured model. The dark ones above are suppose be a dark green, The others of couse are white. Is it possible that your dark red one is a captured model. I thought I seen some where one yellow but yellow is used for a training aircraft. At a loss to the dull red unless it was a captured one.

Thanks very much for answearing query-came across reference to these particular colors on PH aircraft-usually reference on IJN aircraft at Pearl Harbor show red stripes on tails of aircraft. {Different combinations for the different carriers}8) :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back