Yorkshire Air Museum 2014

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Excellent shots Terry, agree on the 109 camo plenty of stuff on Hermann Graf's G-6 so could have at least got a better and more accurate outcome...

Good pictures Terry; as always, very interesting. Those Tornadoes, are they pre-production examples, considering their old style green/grey camouflage and absense of unit markings? They look pretty weather worn, which suggests they haven't been used in a very long time.

Nice also to see the repro of George Cayley's glider hanging above the Bucc indoors; one of the great Yorkshiremen, who contributed much to the greater understanding of flight.

Last edited:
Thanks chaps.
Grant, I'd have to check the details, but one of the Tornados (the nearest I think), was the first delivered to the RAF, a GR1, in standard camouflage from the period, and very faded, whilst the other, hidden behind the first, is either a GR3 or GR4, in the camouflage immediately before the overall grey, darker than that worn by the now retired F3 variant, introduced just a few years ago and now the current colour on in-service GR4s.
I might have that the wrong way around without digging out the details, but the info is probably on the YAM web-site.

They should get some cover for the planes outside they look sad and neglected ...Yorkshire weather doesnt do much for those ladies complexions

A few more from me, with some general shots in the hangar, showing the DH Devon (military version of the Dove), the Gannet and Hunter T7 with canopy and seats removed for servicing, and the Halifax, taken from the cockpit of the 'Dak', and a mix of old and not quite as old, Jet Provost T3 in foreground.
Moving on, with a slight diversion from aircraft, and the final shots of this batch show the pub where we stayed in Elvington village, the village green in early evening light, and the pub down the road, where we had dinner - a great place to stay, and to eat, for anyone planning an overnight stay.
On the approach to the village there is an attractive memorial to the 'Lourdes Group', the Free French squadrons who flew Halifaxes from Elvington during WW2 - but I forgot to get a photo!

More aircraft and general shots soon.

Attachments

• Forum 9.jpg
    Forum 9.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 195
  • Forum 8.jpg
    Forum 8.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 190
  • Forum 7.jpg
    Forum 7.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 181
  • Forum 3.jpg
    Forum 3.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 177
  • Forum 4.jpg
    Forum 4.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 186
  • Forum 5.jpg
    Forum 5.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 170
  • Forum 1.jpg
    Forum 1.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 91
  • Forum 2.jpg
    Forum 2.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 174
  • Forum 6.jpg
    Forum 6.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 182
  • Forum 10.jpg
    Forum 10.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 192
Thanks guys. Yes, there's a lot in the hangar, quite a few of which were outside for a while.
Those outside are actually covered in winter, or at least cockpits and other 'delicate' areas, but, as the museum is open all year round, apart from Christmas day and Boxing day, covering them totally would defeat the whole purpose of the museum.
I certainly wouldn't like to travel the distance from where I live, pay to get in, and then find a load of canvas 'humps' on the tarmac, instead of visible aircraft.
As with most such museums, privately funded, and started by enthusiasts, preservation work is carried out on the aircraft, vehicles, and indeed the buildings, as and when possible, and when funds permit, by a volunteer group, and preventative maintenance is on-going, even if a full (and very expensive) re-paint of aircraft is not immediately possible. (the 'Gulf War' Buccaneer had just been re-painted during our previous visit, for example.)
There are plans to erect another 'T2' hangar, with the area to the side and rear of the existing hangar earmarked, and, of course, the previously mentioned 'Andi det' days are held regularly throughout the year, preparation and servicing for which was being done during our visit.
It's very easy to visit such a museum, and not realise just how much preparation, re-claiming, re-building and preservation of the actual site has been done over the years. All of the buildings on the site are original WW2 structures, fully restored and functional, with some, like the tower, for example, kitted out as they were during the war.
When the museum obtained the use of this part of the airfield site, all of these buildings were derelict - they were crumbling and peeling, overgrown with brambles, and with vegetation taking over inside !
Karl and I posted a more in-depth thread on the YAM during our visits two years ago - in torrential rain, and then in blistering sun - which show some of the other museum attractions, but as a reminder, here's just one shot of part of the original, WW2 buildings on site.

Attachments

• Forum 11.jpg
    Forum 11.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 179
A few more in the hangar, with the Mirage III being rubbed-down ready for re-paint, the Auster, Argus, and the nose of the Halifax. Outside in the early spring sun, the Meteor NF14 was having some preparation work done, ready for further preservation and painting, and the RE8 replica, outside an original WW2 workshop.

Attachments

• Forum 1.jpg
    Forum 1.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 193
  • Forum 2.jpg
    Forum 2.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 208
  • Forum 3.jpg
    Forum 3.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 190
  • Forum 6.jpg
    Forum 6.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 190
  • Forum 4.jpg
    Forum 4.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 195
  • Forum 5.jpg
    Forum 5.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 179
Thanks very much, Hugh, Wayne and Jeff.
A few more, with the two Tornados, the former CAF CF-33, the mighty Nimrod, and the Gulf War Victor tanker, this being prepared for 'anti-det' engine and taxy runs.
I'll post a few of the preserved, WW2 airfield buildings tomorrow.

Attachments

• Forum 1.jpg
    Forum 1.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 182
  • Forum 2.jpg
    Forum 2.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 184
  • Forum 3.jpg
    Forum 3.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 171
  • Forum 4.jpg
    Forum 4.jpg