Yorkshire Air Museum 2014

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

rochie

Staff
Mod
ok as you know Terry and I met up at the Yorkshire Air Museum at Elvington near york the other day, also there were Max and Barbara who are members of the forum and sadly we did not get a group picture :rolleyes:.
i did not take a lot of pictures as i have been to the museum lots of times but the weather was very nice this visit, very different to our last trip !

so here goes.

the might Buccaneer

Picture 073.jpg

Picture 072.jpg

Picture 076.jpg

Picture 110.jpg

Picture 108.jpg

Good stuff mate !
Like Karl, I didn't take many 'pretty' pictures, and totally forgot to get a 'group photo', concentrating more on detail shots, and some 'airfield scenic' scenes to use as photo-backdrops for model photography, but I did get a few where aircraft were in better display positions this time around. I'll post some later, once I've sorted out the 340 images - peanuts compared to the average 'outing'.
A couple of people asked for specific photos of the 'Messerschmitt' (which is a replica), the Javelin, and some engine cooling systems. I'm sorry to say that the last two were not really possible, the Javelin being up against a fence awaiting further restoration work, and not much on show in the way of engine cooling.
I did, however, get some interesting shots of the Dakota's engines (and interior) and some more of the Mosquito's Merlins, plus a couple of the Me109G replica, although this was a bit difficult to get clear shots of, and again, I'll post these later today and tomorrow.

Thank you chaps.
One highlight for both Terry and I was the Dakota being open to the public.
I got a funny look from one couple as I walked down the cabin to the rear door as if hooked on to the static line !

OK, here's the start of a few from me, with the highlight for me (and Karl), the Dakota. This is a former RAF aircraft, which was last in use by Air Atlantique (commonly know as Air Antique) until a few years ago.
During our visit on Thursday, the engine cowlings were off, presumably for prep work ready for live engine runs and taxiing, I think either this weekend or early next month, as the museum have regular 'Anti Det' days (anti deterioration), when 'live' aircraft are run up and/or taxied, to prevent the engines and systems from decaying (one Buccaneer, the Nimrod and Victor were also being prepared).
Apologies for the colour cast and 'grain' in some of the shots, a result of available light and fluorescent tubes.
Interior shots show the main cabin, equipped for paratrooping and partly showing 'casevac' set-up, the navigators station on the port side, radio operators position, and seat, on the starboard side, and a general cockpit shot.

Attachments

• Forum 12.jpg
    Forum 12.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 73
  • Forum 13.jpg
    Forum 13.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 68
  • Forum 10.jpg
    Forum 10.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 72
  • Forum 11.jpg
    Forum 11.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 68
  • Forum 5.jpg
    Forum 5.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 68
  • Forum 4.jpg
    Forum 4.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 69
  • Forum 7.jpg
    Forum 7.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 63
  • Forum 8.jpg
    Forum 8.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 71
  • Forum 9.jpg
    Forum 9.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 71
  • Forum 6.jpg
    Forum 6.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 70
Good stuff Karl. I noticed the light was a bit odd for some photos, as both my cameras were enhancing the highlight reflections.
Anyway, here's some of mine showing the Mosquito and the Messerschmitt Me109G, the latter being a static replica, and quite well done overall, apart from, perhaps, the execution of the camouflage scheme.
First view of the Mosquito was taken from the cockpit of the Dakota, and the aircraft had its cowlings off, preparing the engines and props for some forthcoming engine runs.

Attachments

• Forum 14.jpg
    Forum 14.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 56
  • Forum 15.jpg
    Forum 15.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 63
  • Forum 16.jpg
    Forum 16.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 59
  • Forum 17.jpg
    Forum 17.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 66
  • Forum 18.jpg
    Forum 18.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 58
  • Forum 19.jpg
    Forum 19.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 63
  • Forum 25.jpg
    Forum 25.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 55
  • Forum 20.jpg
    Forum 20.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 65
  • Forum 21.jpg
    Forum 21.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 63
  • Forum 22.jpg
    Forum 22.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 58
  • Forum 23.jpg
    Forum 23.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 58
  • Forum 24.jpg
    Forum 24.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 58
  • Forum 27.jpg
    Forum 27.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 59
  • Forum 28.jpg
    Forum 28.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 56
great pics...when I was there they were running the nimrods engines up....what a row they made

Thanks Hugh, and thanks Andy - looks like we were posting at the same time.
Some more of the three Buccaneers at the museum, with XV168 being a relatively recent arrival, and a couple showing the Javelin, Britain's first 'all weather' fighter, and the Lightning, Britain's first (and only) 'home grown' supersonic interceptor, this being the last of the Marque, a F.6.
The last shot shows one of the two Tornados awaiting further re-paint.

Attachments

• Forum 1.jpg
    Forum 1.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 52
  • Forum 2.jpg
    Forum 2.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 48
  • Forum 3.jpg
    Forum 3.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 51
  • Forum 4.jpg
    Forum 4.jpg