Youngsters and Old Aeroplanes

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fastmongrel

1st Sergeant
May 28, 2009
Lancashire
Took my gorgeous 5 year old Great Niece Evie-Mae to see the planes flying past at our local airshow in Southport View topic - Southport Airshow 2012 (Large Post) She loves old planes she thinks the jets are too noisy and go too fast but when the Battle Of Britain Memorial flight went past she nearly wet herself with excitement. She now wants me to buy her a Lancaster :lol: Think I might have a new mate to go to airshows with.

Lancaster 1.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/people/mark_holt_photography/

Last edited:
Good to know she's starting out young, and a great shot of PA474. I was going to go to Southport today, but I'm still knackered after Friday's outing to Newark Air Museum!

Southport has had terrible luck with the weather in the last few years so it was lovely to have to smother on the sunblock yesterday. Newark is on my to do list hoping to tick it off next year when I go to a wedding in Lincoln. The women can do the dress and wedding present thing whilst I go and do something interesting.

Sounds good, and it's well worth visiting, with many aircraft open for inspection and, if you contact them beforehand, they'll open up exhibits specially for you, if they are able to. I did the presentation of the Halifax diorama on Friday, and Howard Heeley, from the Museum, was extremely helpful, allowing me access to the underside of the Jaguar, for detail shots.
BTW, I lived in Freshfield, Formby, for a short time in the late 80s - wife to be at the time was from Crosby.

I was brought up in Formby and am now back living in the same house which I bought off my parents. I am at the other end of Formby to Freshfield in Little Altcar. Did you ever drink in the Freshfield Hotel it used to be a great pub but has now been done up as more of a restaurant and is locally known as the Tarts Handbag.

Don't thing being young has all that much to do with it. There is just something about those older planes. The "make sense" in a manner of speaking. It is easy to see how and why they fly. The wings are actual wings and not just control surfaces. The engines and props are easy to see and understand. I like the WWI planes even better.

Well put, Mike. I agree. Kids love the old props, at least mine do. There is something about the props turning and blowing the hats around when taxiing, and crawling up into a cockpit filled with gauges, not LCDs. My son is 11 and he likes jets, but he loves the prop planes.

Yep, used to get to the 'Freshfield' at times, and the one near the ranges at Altcar. Used to stay at Altcar camp too, in my military days, normally as an instructor on the ranges. Small world.

My 4 year old daughter loves aeroplanes when she gets to go away on trips about the place, but she doesn't like the noisy ones. I'm slowly getting her used to the idea of airshows by taking toy planes she has (daddy bought them!) and flying them past her at high speed and making fast pass noises!

Take a look at this!

SpeedTrappers.jpg

Last edited:
i remember when my son was about 4 or 5, he would be in the back seat of the car on the way home from airshows with a toy airplane waving it above his head and making the sounds "eeeeeYYYAAAAWWW". Then about 10-15 minutes into the car ride home, he's be out like a light. Now he's out there with my spare camera making me proud. And he still loves the props.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back