your thoughts please on 141 sqn beaufighter ?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

rochie

Staff
Mod
Ok Gents, i need help.

For at least 3 years i have been trying to identify John.R.D "Bob" Brahams beaufighter V8147.

Questions i have are;

Nicknamed "Betsy", is it to much of a leap to think V8147 was coded "B" ?

Given wing commander's had the perk of using their initials on their aircraft, what are your thoughts on V8147 ?

Do you think it might be TW B (141 sqn codes) or RD B ?

And lastly the 141 sqn colour scheme in aug 1943, med sea grey under sides and sky codes or "night" undersides and dull red codes ?

I am leaning towards "night" undersides, dull red codes of RD B for beaufighter V8147 !

Any thoughts will be hugely appreciated

Karl

Last edited:
Hello Karl,

Infos here
http://ww2aircraft.net/forum/aircraft-requests/john-braham-beaufighter-vif-28130.html
or here
'Bob' Braham's Beaufighter Mk VI - Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

My opinion: X8147, TW-A, but not sure about color but probably medium sea grey/dark green and medium sea grey or black due the period

HTH

Edit: It exists a photo of Beaufighter VIf, V8253/TW-T during January 1943 (apparently a beautiful day, a sunny day !!! :D )
img155-1.jpg

Last edited:
Hello Karl,

Infos here
http://ww2aircraft.net/forum/aircraft-requests/john-braham-beaufighter-vif-28130.html
or here
'Bob' Braham's Beaufighter Mk VI - Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

My opinion: X8147, TW-A, but not sure about color but probably medium sea grey/dark green and medium sea grey or black due the period

HTH

Edit: It exists a photo of Beaufighter VIf, V8253/TW-T during January 1943 (apparently a beautiful day, a sunny day !!! :D )
img155-1.jpg

Thanks Steph, i am intriuged at that pic, later style nose and it looks like 2 different colour codes.
I dont think it would've been black all over but now might be med sea grey all over with green on top and red codes, but what style nose, i am inclined to think earlier nose with arrow head ariels ?

I can only assist in....supplying the model....sorry mate....:D
That helped a lot though mate !

The serial V8147 indicates the Mk.II variant. However it could be a mistake in the SAM publication and it should be the Mk.IF type.

The 141st Squadron ... the Mk.IF from August 1941 to June 1943 , the squadron code letters TW.
... the Mk.VIF from June 1943 to January 1944, the squadron code letters TW.

The Beau in the pic below is said to be the Mk.VIF variant. The squadron code letters and the individual one don't seem to be of two different colours. I would say these were of the red paint. The different appearance of them has been caused by applying of these on the two different background colours I mean the dark green and the grey ones. And the sunlight of course.

img155-1.jpg

Last edited:
So all it looks now a little bit different. The serial indicates the Mk.VIF plane.

.... i have read somewhere 141 sqn had a mix of Mk I and MkVI beaufighters !

Also found this - Bristol Beaufighter I (06.1941 – 06.1943); Beaufighter VI (05.1943 – 02.1944). It seems that the mix of planes could have been at the interim period.

Last edited:
Definitely MSG overall, with Dark Green disruptive upper surfaces, and Dull Red codes and serials. Almost certainly the centimetric radar by that period. Still haven't found that magazine article I mentioned, but it's possible he used his initials as codes.

Two days away from my books Karl. If you don't have the answers by then, I'll start looking Wednesday morning. That photo looks familiar and it may be the only one I found.

Geo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back