Your top 10 favorite WW2 movies (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

"The Purple Plain". I've seen it only once many years ago and I still remember. Gregory Peck was very good, though he crashed a Mosquito :lol:

Does anyone remember that film where they build the plane and escape from prison I belive Colditz to free the scientist. I cant picture the name of it!!!

Escape of the Birdmen.

It's also been released on VHS/DVD as Operation Braindrain, I think. Good flick.

In no particular order (except for Das Boot :toothy5: ), mine are:

- Das Boot (director's cut)
- Battle of Britain
- Saving Private Ryan
- The Guns of Navarone
- Tora!, Tora!, Tora!
- Where Eagles Dare
- Enemy At The Gates
- Stalingrad
- Dieppe (A Canadian made for TV two-parter. It had beach landing scenes almost as well done as Saving Private Ryan, that were even applauded by some of the veterans. That alone makes it OK in my book.)

- And finally (and I know I'm gonna be virtually slapped in the head for this), Pearl Harbor. The CGI action sequences were out of this world. Good action scenes overall, actually.

It's also been released on VHS/DVD as Operation Braindrain, I think. Good flick.

In no particular order (except for Das Boot :toothy5: ), mine are:

- Das Boot (director's cut)
- Battle of Britain
- Saving Private Ryan
- The Guns of Navarone
- Tora!, Tora!, Tora!
- Where Eagles Dare
- Enemy At The Gates
- Stalingrad
- Dieppe (A Canadian made for TV two-parter. It had beach landing scenes almost as well done as Saving Private Ryan, that were even applauded by some of the veterans. That alone makes it OK in my book.)

- And finally (and I know I'm gonna be virtually slapped in the head for this), Pearl Harbor. The CGI action sequences were out of this world. Good action scenes overall, actually.

I want to hug your for your selection!

I love this thread and have two that brought me to the place and time they were about:

Sahara.
This movie for its inspirational eloquence using common language, some with accents and some just good old fashioned Bronx slang.
They Were Expendable.
I love the scene where the boats are leaving the docks for the last time and leaving some old salts to fend for themselves in the face of a fast approaching enemy. Not a whole lot of romance involved, but those characters were ALL men and ALL heroes and were very accurate in their portrayal of what our guys were facing in the early years of the war in the PTO.

and then there was the movie that would have inspired my enlistment, if not already serving:

Casablanca.

The "hill of beans" dialogue between Rick and Ilsa as to why he was staying and she should leave with her husband.

The rest of the movies are the more common that everyone else has listed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back