Your top 10 favorite WW2 movies

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Apologies for being predominantly 'Brit' (but what d'ya expect?!):

1. The Dambusters
2. The Battle of Britain
3. The Bridges at Toko-Ri (OK, not WW II but a really good film)
4. Das Boot
5. 30 Seconds Over Tokyo
6. 12 O'clock High (Still used in RAF Officer Training to demonstrate leadership skills)
7. The Cruel Sea
8. Reach for the Sky
9. Ice Cold in Alex – you can feel the heat. And taste that beer!
10. Kelly's Hero's (Quit with the negative waves, man)

As a teenager, late one night I was still up with a filthy cold and remember watching a film about the initial B-29 deployments to the Marianas Islands. I remember 2 scenes: The first aircraft arriving, only it wasn't - to the crew's chagrin - as another crew had "nursed their fuel" and gone direct, omitting an intermediate fuel stop and had arrived long since. (Was this supposed to be 'Joltin' Josie'?) The other scene was a B-29 shooting up vessels using the forward guns from the Bombardier's position. Anyone know what this film was?

Strategic Air Command and its later follow-on featuring B-52s (name again?) were good too, although they don't fit in the 'War Film' category.

i never claimed any realism for it. i just said it was fun it did not bore me. we've already established i enjoyed the action in ph...so? the kid taking a leak on the mountain top while the imperial planes fly by is a great idea.
one can enjoy the way a movie is put together and still not think it's a good flick.
i believe ph would have been better if the cuba gooding segments had not been edited to death...it did not make sense.

dj

Dont take me wrong. I think I should have just worded my post differently. The thing I hate about PH is they took a real life event and Hollywoodized it and completely took the historical aspect out of it and replaced it with a love story and in my opinion the historical aspect took 2nd place and for that I did not like it.

Making a movie like PH would have been okay if it were not about PH...

Thats all I meant.

We also have to consider my time in the Navy began in 1951. I'm certain
it's much different in todays military. We have two USA types that come
into our shop that are learning Czech ! I didn't ask why....

Charles

Probably because we are fixing to set up parts of the Anti Missile Defense System outside of Prague, Czech.

'they took a real life event and Hollywoodized it and completely took the historical aspect out of it and replaced it with a love story'

yes, never underestimate their lack taste, tact, accuracy, sense, etc........ :)

dj

"Paths of Glory" was directed by Stanley Kubrick...he of "2001:A Space Odyssey", "Dr. Stranglove" and who can forget "Full Metal Jacket".

How about "Wake Island" with Robert Preston and William Bendix.

And who can forget "Battleground" with Van Johnson, Ricardo Montalban and James Whitmore. Much better than Battle of the Bulge.

How about WW II movies from the perspective of the other side, like "Stalingrad". I can think of the companion movie to Flags of Our Fathers...Letters from Iwo Jima?

Any others?

hey, i remember 'battleground'. that was a good one, as was 'wake island'.

tv shows:

how about 'rat patrol' and 'combat'.

'dr. strangelove' is an absolute hoot. when the b-52 shadow is a prop bomber and the the engine sound matches i roar!

not wwII either, but the original 'failsafe' was fine.

dj

Some other good ones are
Captains of the clouds (I love it!!)
Hell is for heros
Halls of Montezuma
Guadalcanal diary
Bridge at Remagen

The devil's Brigade is alright
Anzio is crap..

Das Boot (fantastic film only movie ever to keep me so on edge for such a long time):lol:
Saving Private Ryan
Memphis Belle
Where Eagles Dare
Guns of Navarone (ahh im shocked nobody has mentioned this, I loved this movie growing up)
Where Eagles Dare (as above)
Enemy at the Gates
Battle of Britain
Bridge over River Kwai
Great Escape

these are in no particular order!

Some other good ones are
Captains of the clouds (I love it!!)
Hell is for heros
Halls of Montezuma
Guadalcanal diary
Bridge at Remagen

The devil's Brigade is alright
Anzio is crap..
I like Captains of the Clouds also, great cast with Cagney and Hale and some good flying and probably one the few WW2 movies in colour
How about 49th parallel with Lawrence Olivier and Raymond Massey won some oscars etc but the movie is funny as a U boat crew is sunk in Hudsons Bay :shock: and travels many thousands of miles all across Canada from west to east and back again in there escape attempt to neutral US

Has anyone mentioned "Task Force" with Gary Cooper and Walter Brennan. 10 times better than "Midway."

I agree with you on Pearl Harbor, but I thought the acting in U-571
was good. The story was pure fiction.... and showed it.

Charles

I did not think the acting was that great. Come on Jon Bon Jovi was acting in it. Great singer but I dont think he can act.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back