Zeppelin Graf Zeppelin and other ridgid airships

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

A note though ... the "SWINEMÜNDE, Pommern" is correct . But the "Polen 1930" can be a little bit confusing. In 1930 the SWINEMÜNDE town ( Świnoujście in Polish ) belonged to the Germany not to Poland.

That is one thing I just cant imagine seeing. Awesome.
The thought of one of those night bombing sends a shiver, whether I imagine being the target or in the crew. Flying an oversized target, blacked out and trying to run quiet to avoid search lights, anti-aircraft, fighters, and Iirc obstructions in the way of cables or balloons doesn't exactly inspire one to check the annuity option when playing the lotto. EDIT: By coincidence, a few days ago, I was watching a clip from a movie that depicted a zeppelin night attack on London. As if the RAF biplanes attempting to intercept her, you had the zeppelin captain ordering that a gondola ,which has been lowered to allow a bombardier(?)/observer a better view of the target below, to be cut off, dooming the man but allowing the zep and crew to speed away before the fighters arrived. Sucks to be that guy.

Airships inspire so many vivid imaginations to create unique, whimsical, and downright awesome examples for movies, like Sucker Punch, The Mummy, and many others. Also, there were many reports of airships flying/landing across the UNITED STATES, in the latter half of the 19th century, with occupants speaking German or near-German when they landed to buy food from farmers. Sounds SteamPunk before there was SteamPunk.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread