1:1 Spitfire K9817 Cockpit Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

At last some progress on MY part...

The side wall bracket/frame which is swaged for strength and to starbord, supports the Windscreen De-iceing Pump.

The bracket is much shorter than the real one and attaches TO the frame rather than being the frame. A nice cosmetic touch though, I feel, as it is one of the more interesting structural features of the cockpit:

StarbSide3.gif

StarbSide2.gif

And in situ..... first one mine, second picture the real thing...

starbsideinpit1.gif

real.gif

The De-Ice Pump is still drying but will slip straight in this afternoon. I will also hopefully finish the port side today and if VERY lucky, the Fuse box bracket that sits aft of it.

I've not done any Swaging before so it was a bit of trial and error but the punch and die that Gwyn did up worked perfectly..although I did need to clean some edges as I punched out the holes rather than drilling first...to port I will actually drill 25mm holes first then punch with the 1" (2.54mm) metal swaging punch Gwyn knocked up.

Thanks Mate,

I can vouch for the "eye candy"...although it takes hours and hours of cutting, filing, bending and painting (without adding any functionality at all) it is all worth it when each piece added begins to make it look more and more like the real thing.

The De-Ice Pump finally in position after three repaints (one mistake and two impatience)

dside2.gif

dside1.gif

dside3.gif

dside4.gif

And a small "while the paint drys" job...my genuine Compass Correction Holders fitted with "repro" cards.

The Placard which goes underneath (for "with drop tank" and "without" ) will hopefully be cut this week.

compasscards.gif

Last edited:
Very nice indeed Darryl !
Glenn, if the holes aren't punched, then the 'dimpling' can be replicated by drilling over-sized first, like countersinking, then the rest of the way with a smaller drill bit. Or, drill then ream.

Little misunderstanding Terry. I didn't mean the drilled holes, but the big holes to lighten the structure. The ones in my gun sight frame are 2 1/4" and 3 1/4" in diameter

Thanks guys, glad you like her.

Little misunderstanding Terry. I didn't mean the drilled holes, but the big holes to lighten the structure. The ones in my gun sight frame are 2 1/4" and 3 1/4" in diameter

I'll post a picture tonight of the swaging tool I had made up . Usually they were turned on a lathe in wood and banged into predrilled (undersize) holes in the aluminium and wood "template".

Mine is a little different as it is in metal and has both a punch and a die. The result is something similar to a pressed piece.

I built a wood template for molding the piece around and then sits "proud" on the die piece (with template removed), the punch is matched up with the die below and then hammered in.

Too hard and it rips the alu around the edge of the center hole (which happened a couple of times.) too soft and it won't press in.

For the port side I will predrill much bigger holes (25mm) and then put the punch (2.54mm, 1") ontop of these holes and hammer it home.

Hopefully that will give a nice edge.

Darryl

Ah, I see. But if doing this in other than metal, or even in soft metal, given you have a set of hole cutters big enough, the principle is the same. Just a thought.

Thanks Guys,

Had a hold up last week so no new pictures. I'm away next weekend but I should have some nice pictures early the next week.

Hello Everyone,

Darryl, congratulations on building such an awesome cockpit. You are a inspiration to us.

I am also planning on starting a build on a spitfire cockpit. I would like to build a cockpit with flight instruments, controls and a motion platform. Initially I am going to stick to the flight instruments (instrument panel).
I am however not sure of how to extract the data needed to make the instruments work from IL2 or MS Combat Flight sim3. Could you offer any advise on this?

Thanks for the kind words.

Gary Edwards is doing an extraction programme for IL2 and has some instruments up and working already. A search on youtube should track him down. I was going to do some beta testing but, frankly, now i just am spread too thin.

If you would like my take on motion platforms...my opinion is simple...as a real world aerobatic pilot, I find them to be completely useless for fighters. In a B737 sim, the normal bank is 20-30 deg max and motion platforms are very good at this...but for a free wheeling fighter, motion cues are completely unrealistic and in many cases give the opposite effect of what one would expect.

In the F-16 sim community there is some talk of using seat belt tensioners (as in, upside down = tighten belts) but again, this is not at all realistic. The feeling of the straps on your shoulders is the least and last effect..after floating out of your seat. Also, tightening the belt to simulate heavy G..when in fact the opposite happens, your belts feel much more loose under G.

Just my 2 cents....if you want a fun ride, motion platforms are a buzz...but as far as recreating flight......take it for what it is worth...

And please start a thread when you have something to show on your Spitfire!!! I'd love to see it.

regards

Darryl

Thank you Sir!!

I have just come off the busiest time of year and am hoping to make some progress.

I picked up a post war parachute complete, which is slightly diffferent in colour to the wartime one but the same design. I've also manage dto snag a K Type Dinghy pack in great condition (thanks Joe!!). I now need to lowere the seat a little (Sunday's job).

When I get some time large update will be forthcoming....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back