1:1 Spitfire K9817 Cockpit Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

This entry makes 50000 visits to your build thread !. Thats a mighty impressive achievement and only made possible due to the time and effort you've made in not only scratch building a Spitfire cockpit but also making it fully operational all the while sharing your progress and problems with us here.

As has been said on numerous time before, fantastic effort mate, bl**dy well done :thumbleft:

Thank you gents..

I, quite honestly, am very, very grateful to all who have supported this thread. Between here and a couple of other forums, the Spit has attracted over 100,000 views. To say that I am honoured and VERY flattered to have that kind of audience is the ultimate understatement.

But of all the people who have followed this project, on all fora the bunch here are by head and shoulders the best , most supportive, genuinely interested and encouraging lot I have had the pleasure to come across.

As lightly as I have treated some of the failures, problems and runs of bad luck that I have had...or the couple of REALLY stupid things I have done, there have been times when the whole project seemed beyond my reach, beyond my skills or beyond being worth it. It has been at those times that THIS forum has been, by far, my chief source of comfort and inspiration. THAT is what "community" is all about and you guys and gals here absolutely shine at it.

Any pleasure any one has recieved reading my accounts this mamoth undertaking has been returned to me many times over.

Thank you one and all for the interest, thank you to all of you who have so generously given of your time, experience and research (you know who you are and being late here..I do not want to mention names for fear of missing somebody). I will continue to update the pictures etc as more building takes place and, as they seem to be popular, I will relate any funny/stupid/unlucky "happenings" in flights.

I do not get the time to comment on other people's builds as often as I would like..for which I apologise and promise to try to do better...

Thanks guys, you are truly inspirational

very bets regards

P.S ANYONE coming over to the Wild West has a standing invite to have a look and fly of her.

Another long layoff..for which there are good reasons. But I have now completed the conversion to Photo Recon at Mk V standard, adding Mk V controls, changing the seat to redish compressed paper etc, . Problems with the A2A Spit have meant that I have done almost zero flying for the last several months (long and uninteresting story). However a bit of tinkering to finish off has got done.

I am currently awaiting an "airswitch" which will be fitted to the back of the primer pump..so that when you pump, the air pressure will trigger a switch. This comes upon suggestion from Chris and after a long and NIGHTMARE run at various mechanisms to simulate both PRESSURE and PRIMER. Obviously a switch is needed to trigger the simulator "pump" but any switch arrangement would not create pressure in the primer, so that pumping fuel was not like a bike pump, with "resistance" but was like a door bolt slide with no friction. Any system I tried that gave pressure did not have sufficient clearance to trigger a switch. The problem is now solved on a technical level but still needs to be installed. The "best" try at a switch arrangement has been moved sideways to become a "break to make" switch for the Merlin's slow running cut out, when pulled.

Also awaiting the final work on the door mechanism (hopefully soon) so that I can build the door and finish the whole thing.

I also wanted to maintain the "constantly upgraded/converted" theme and so I have left the Landing Lamp control in place, along with the Reflector sight switch and labels....but the sight is gone (impossible to see the reticle against a bright screen anyhow) whilst retaining the gunsight bulbs. Also, I added a gun camera footage unit as yet another "left behind" item. This gives the feel that a quick bit of work turns her into a fighter recon.

Also now added are a fake seat adjustment handle (right of seat), Gwyn's marvellous Drop Tank Valve/Release unit, the heavey silver braided radio control (TR 1143) cable and after a lot of brain and handy work by Gwyn, a new laser engraved face from Chris and some swearing and reprogramming, I have finally managed to get the ASI to work on a multi turn basis to read the outside scale first and the inside scale second time around. This will take some getting used to as upon entering hard manouevres from a high speed, it is easy to forget WHICH scale is currently the right one to read...! Not a big drama but one extra bit of skill needed to fly her!

The lights are all now functioning...Undecarriage, Low Volts, Fuel Pressure Warning and the PRU control lights...2 on the Type 35 and 3 on the Camera Selector. (unfortunately most are too hard to see in the photo as the flash washed them out) The Type 35 has also moved forward to the more "traditional" upfront mounting.

Another real item has been received, this time a Magneto Switch pair.

Hoping Tony can still source me a brass Mk V engine limitations plate but in the meantime a laser engraved plastic black and white one is in place.

Anyhow, the pictures:

Two views of the whole thing. Camera Selector Box prominant low and left.

IMG_4254.gif

IMG_4252.gif

The view "in the door"

IMG_4229.gif

The view from the pilot's seat:

IMG_4249.gif

Left wall froward from the seat.

IMG_4247.gif

IMG_4237.gif

Low on the panel, the twin "deviation" cards (with slipper tank and without) and the compass which now has a whisky compass inset ... at some stage I may hack this up to build a better representation of a P8 but lots to do first.

IMG_4234.gif

The Type 35 in place:

IMG_4236.gif

IMG_4230.gif

Camera Selector

IMG_4231.gif

The Drop Tank Control (and a good idea of as close as I could get to the seat colour)

IMG_4242.gif

IMG_4243.gif

Right, right rear and seat

IMG_4233.gif

IMG_4241.gif

IMG_4240.gif

Left rear, Seat and Fuse Boxes

IMG_4232.gif

Fake Seat adjustment handle and right wall detail.

IMG_4239.gif

Finally, the dual scale ASI. (and the altimeter and new Gyro laser cut)

IMG_4235.gif

More sooner than last time..hopefully.

Last edited:
WOW!! Great work Darryl it's really looking great. That pressure activated switch sounds interesting, I'd like to see a picture of how you made it work. I must get back to my 47

Thanks Gents,

Glenn, as soon as I have it to hand, I will post some pics.

Gary, your pit is a constant inspiration mate!

Andy, thanks! It has been a labour of love, that's for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back