1/144 Focke Wulf

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Feb 24, 2018
Florida
I'm going to start my re-entry into model building with Revell's Mini 1/144 scale Fw-190 A. It's the same kit as the "micro wings" version, but with a different instruction sheet and different decal sheet. It's been in my stash for decades and I gotta start somewhere! Simple cheap kit with 12 parts. Whoop-De-Doo! It will help me get my tools and maybe some old skills back. I want to post some photos as I go, but not every agonizing detail. After all, this is 1/144 scale and detail is not as great as in other scales.

Attachments

• 3DAA2DD1-47BF-468D-8DF9-4FE156446627.jpeg
    3DAA2DD1-47BF-468D-8DF9-4FE156446627.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 118
I'm starting to wonder if this is worth the effort involved. I actually added some cockpit detail, which is very hard to see even without the canopy. And the canopy leaves a lot to be desired. I might rework it, or try my hand at vac-forming a new one?
In addition the decals that come with this kit are nice, but they include the black eagle (Adler) markings for the sides of the fuselage. And that airplane was not an A 8 which this kit represents but rather an earlier A 2,3, or 4 as flown by Sigfried Schnell

I wouldn't bother about these unseen parts. That's the main purpose of the modelling. Even if these aren't seen you know these are there. :)

As far as the variant of the Fw 190A is concerned... The A-8 was slightly different for those earlier types. The models of the A-2 and A-3 require quite work to convert them into the A-8. It can be done much easier with the A-4. Decals aren't problem and if you want , you may make either the A-8 or one of the early planes. The differences may be not noticed by all who don't know about them. So keep working on...

The canopy seems to be too "armored" IMHO for the scale. I would make a new canopy using the kit one as the model for that.
I agree, it's too thick and too large. I will have to figure out how to either use it as a mold, make one from scratch? I don't know, I haven't done that before...

That can be made in a quite easy way . If it is too large you may fit it to the model by sanding in order to get the proper shape and dimensions. Then use the plasticine and press the canopy into that . In the way you can obtain a mould for the canopy former. It is enough to fill the squeezed shape of the canopy in the plasticine with some of epoxy. To make the handling of the moulded former easier you may put ito the epoxy a piece of a wooden stick, etc. Also you may use a piece of balsa wood for making the former. If you want you may check on my thread about making pilot seats. That's the same way of making .The difference is you need to use the clear plastic sheet insted of the white one I used for the making of the chair. The link below.

How to make your own pilot's seat for models.

Also here is Crimea_River's thread for his Fw 190A-5. He had to make the underwing blisters for the variiant from scratch. The way with using of the plasticine moulds is depicted fine. Scroll to the post #33.

**** DONE: GB-36 1/48 FW190A-5 - Axis Manufactured Aircraft of WWII

That can be made in a quite easy way . If it is too large you may fit it to the model by sanding in order to get the proper shape and dimensions. Then use the plasticine and press the canopy into that . In the way you can obtain a mould for the canopy former. It is enough to fill the squeezed shape of the canopy in the plasticine with some of epoxy. To make the handling of the moulded former easier you may put ito the epoxy a piece of a wooden stick, etc. Also you may use a piece of balsa wood for making the former. If you want you may check on my thread about making pilot seats. That's the same way of making .The difference is you need to use the clear plastic sheet insted of the white one I used for the making of the chair. The link below.

How to make your own pilot's seat for models.

Also here is Crimea_River's thread for his Fw 190A-5. He had to make the underwing blisters for the variiant from scratch. The way with using of the plasticine moulds is depicted fine. Scroll to the post #33.

**** DONE: GB-36 1/48 FW190A-5 - Axis Manufactured Aircraft of WWII
Thank you Wurger! This is my favorite site for modeling because people like you are so very helpful!

Glad I could help/ :)

Oh and one more tip.. before you use the clear plastic make it sure it is the polystyrene . These form different wrappings can get yellowish in time. Here is my very old Hellcat of 1/72 scale. 25 years ago the canopy was clear now that looks like these for F-16s. :lol: The rear windows are of clear polystyrene that was taken from the safety cover of a blade of a shaver. The difference can be noticed.. :(

Hellcat.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back