1/144 Pan Am Boeing 707 and 747 Simultaneous build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Trebor

Master Sergeant
Feb 15, 2008
KCLS
hey guys, thought I'd start a new thread on my Pan Am project.

HPIM2937.JPG

This is what I do for nose weight for all Tricycle-gear aircraft. Lead weights encased in play-doh to ensure a good amount of nose weight, and the weights do not roll around inside. I slather a bit of modeling cement on the inside walls to ensure this does not roll around as well. This particular one is for the Pan Am 747, which, according to instructions, requires almost a full ounce of weight. So, I just put a full ounce of weight inside the casing. When I get large rubber bands, I will install this in the fuselage of the 747. I have already done so with the 707.

HPIM2938.JPG

1/144th 707 fuselage assembled. the blue cockpit piece is the aftermarket resin piece created by Contrails Models, for a more accurate shape of the 707's cockpit nose profile. The next step is to apply putty to the seams and joins for a smooth fuselage.

707  747 side by side from air 1968 An Rpt.jpg

This is a photo I found on the internet of a Pan Am 747 and 707 sitting side by side with each other. The photo was taken in 1968. I think the 747 is N747PA "Clipper Juan T. Trippe".

HPIM2936.JPG

And here is my own recreation of the photo. the 747 is completely dry-fitted. not assembled, yet. The 707's wings and Horizontal Stabilizers were try fitted to the fuselage for this photo. The 747's fuselage length is just a little more than 18 inches. She's a big girl. The 747's reg and Clipper name will be that of N739PA "Clipper Maid of the Seas" There are enough decals on the sheet to create that, even though it is not included.

the 747 is the Revell shuttle carrier. and the 707 is Minicraft. I got Two Six decal sheets for both of them. even though the 707 was already Pan Am.

Steve Miller Band shoulda mentioned the 747 in their song, but then it wouldn't add up. lol

The '47 decal sheet includes windows. so I'll be filling the windows in before I join the fuselage halves

Got a bit more work done! did all this while watching Pan Am :D
Putty slathered on the inside of the 747 to cover up the windows. the Pan Am decals I possess have window decals. plus, the hollowed out windows looked horrid.
HPIM2943.JPG

And the other side
HPIM2941.JPG

the 707's wings assembled. I took the advice of my book "Modeling Airliners" and thinned the trailing edges of the wings. looks OK, now
HPIM2942.JPG

Pan Am decals for 747. As you know, I'm looking to do N739PA "Clipper Maid of the Seas" and as you can see, it is not included in here. However, there are enough decals here to make some cuts and rearrange some stuff to make "Maid of the Seas" possible.
HPIM2940.JPG

Decal sheets for Boeing 707. I don't know what reg or Clipper name i'm gonna choose for this one.
HPIM2939.JPG

Thank you! I'm real excited to see how they'll turn out. I'm looking at getting some detail decals for the 747. But I can't find any for the 707. I also wanna do what I did with the TWA 757. Antennas and pitot tubes

Lol. Yes, I've bought from them before

On my Super Connie I glued the windows in and filled from the front. Less filler and less chance of all the filler distorting the plastic.

Nice work so far.

On my Super Connie I glued the windows in and filled from the front. Less filler and less chance of all the filler distorting the plastic.

Nice work so far.

thanks. I would have done the same. But there are only the cockpit windows in the 747.

quick question: I saw how well someone did an American Airlines MD-80 with Alclad Airframe Aluminum. After discovering it's a lacquer, I'm wondering what I'd use to clean the airbrush with? regular water, or a lacquer thinner?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back