1/144 Pan Am Boeing 707 and 747 Simultaneous build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

747 windows sanded flush
HPIM2944.JPG

and the fuselage assembled. first time using rubber bands on a fuselage. works quite well. may use them from now on. I'm considering getting aftermarket resin engines for this kit. the ones provided look absolutely horrible. :p the only place I can see them on is Hannants. and they'd be about $30 @_@
HPIM2945.JPG

hey fellas, would a black enamel undercoat ruin the lacquer airframe aluminum?

747 wings assembled. I won't be using the kit engines. there's a set of JT9D engines coming out very soon and I'm gonna get my hands on. I won't say who is doing them, cos I'm not certain they want me disclosing the information.
HPIM2947.JPG

okay, so if I go with full-on lacquers, this airliner modelling book says one of the cons are that it attacks plastic, so it's best to prime. what does that mean? will it warp the plastic? should I prime with a differently based paint first?

I've heard that priming with Testors enamel gloss black works well under Alclad II although I have not done it myself. I would not recommend the Alclad black primmer though. I used that the one and only time I tried Alclad and it spider-cracked all over. Had to strip the whole thing.

I have something similar to Testors Gloss Black. I've got the Rustoleum automotive Gloss Black. bigger can

Almost a month since I updated, fellas. thought I'd do some stuff over the weekend. puttied both aircraft on Thursday and Friday, managed to sand off the 707 fuselage and wings over the weekend. (mind the mess in the pic)
HPIM2958.JPG

Haven't done the engines yet, cos I'm tweaking the engine pylons on the 707. the top is the tweaked version. took me a while to do it. and have 2 more to go.
HPIM2968.JPG

and the 747 engines....they...are terrible. they're just...*shudders* They should not have modeled the engines this way. so I"m waiting for resin replacements. and there's a set that is coming out VERY soon. won't say who is doing them. but you'll know soon enough.
HPIM2964.JPG

HPIM2967.JPG

Last edited:
thanks, you guys! I just received some new toys in the mail, so I'm kinda distracted. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back