1/32 CF-18 Hornet, 425 RCAF, Libya 2011

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Kit: Academy
Scale: 1/32
Accessories: "The Major" resin set, which includes a Sniper Pod and mount, nose fences, new antennas and GPS dome and one of the "new" pylon for the outer right wing, as well as a pair of Avionix resin GBU-12s. I also got an ejection seat, but I don't recall the maker.

So basically what I'm doing with this one is building my now mothballed (for no good reason) GB 15 subject, 188739 of 425 Squadron RCAF in Libya in 2011 during Operation Mobile, except in 1/32. Some of you may remember this as the aircraft I sat in while it was with 416 back in something like 1998. The decals for the plane itself are actually in the kit which is an odd piece of luck. There's a great photo set here:

OP MOBILE-Libya - a set on Flickr

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/15...caf-libya-2011-carrier-aircraft-gb-33989.html

The kit I'm using is the Academy F/A-18A+, which is basically good to go to build a CF-18. I picked it and all the goodies up from a shop in Calgary for $200, while the kit itself is usually about $250+. Still far from cheap but I'll take it. Some painting has begun on the seat and the cockpit, but not really much has been accomplished. I'll post some photos when there's actually something to show. The plan is to have this thing built by the time I can paint again so it's ready for the Western Canadian show that comes back up to Edmonton this year. (As a side note, Andy, do you know if there's going to be a theme this year? I'm not terribly interested in the forthcoming group builds so this summer will be a "free for all" so I'd build something to follow the theme, or just toss in that Me 410 and Flanker.) I think it's time for my skills to actually start improving, so this one will be an interesting test I think. I've heard the kit isn't all that difficult to manage, it's just large and semi-complicated. We'll see! I've got lots of time to work on it before painting can even happen so lack of patience can't be an excuse, which I think is one of my biggest problems.

Good stuff Cory. Great set of reference pics there for you to go by and I think your main challenge will be in capturing the weathering of the Canadian Hornets, which I'm sure you know could get quite filthy. Sorry but I don't know what the theme is for this year's contest.

Looking forward to this one. My goal is to build a CF-18 in 1/32 scale someday. This along with my most favourite of previous gen fighters the F-14 Tomcat complete with AIM's, sparrows and Phoenix missiles.

A couple shots, nothing great because the lighting is bad where I was taking them. Panel is done? May attempt to highlight the gauges at the bottom more. The screens are normally supposed to have decals of whatever should be on each screen on a back panel, then a clear panel ahead of it. What I've done (and we'll see if it turns out, if not I have extras!) is simply painted the backing black, not putting decals on, and painted the rear of the clear parts in clear green to simulate a screen being off.

DSC_0001_zps22a36672.jpg

Here is the seat. What colours would you recommend I drybrush it with?

DSC_0002_zpsee520b76.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back